Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family member account showing up my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Family member account showing up my credit report

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on how to remove a credit card from my dad that is showing up on my report. I called the company and asked them to remove it and they said they could not I would have to call the CRA's, granted I called late at night and talked to an overseas rep so not much help there. Should I be able to get this removed by speaking to the right person on the phone at the OC? Or do I need to dispute the debt with the OC? Kinda lost on what to do. 

At this time the card is near full utilization and it is the only credit card reporting on my reports right now since I just started to rebuild. I have two new credit cards but they have not started reporting yet. I would think that once this card that is not mine is off my reports and my two new cards start reporting I would see a increase in score? 

Thanks for the help and I look forward to reading your replies and getting this fixed asap.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: Family member account showing up my credit report

Welcome to the forums!

Is this the only tradeline on your reports? If it is, having it removed would cause you not to have a score until your own two cards are 6 months old.
The CC company should be able to remove you. Are you an authorized user or a joint account holder? If AU and the CC company won't remove you, you can dispute with CRAs as "account not mine, no longer liable for this account" or something along those lines.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I have many other TL's on my report, I am rebuilding now I have a few CA's I am working to have removed right now. I have not used any credit of any form in around 2.5 years, so hopefully getting this high utilization card off and when my 2 new cards start reporting I am hoping that I can see a good increase. 

I am not a AU or joint account holder, we have the same name other than middle name. Only reason I can see that I would be on there. Anyways with my credit scores at the time that this account I am reffering to was opened there was no way I would have been approved. 

What department should I ask for when I call the CC company, it is HSBC Sams DC if that makes any difference. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A probable cause, particulary if your names and addesses are the same or near the same, is simple mis-matching with the incorrect file.

When you spoke with the credtior, did you check the personal identifiers they are using to report (SSN, full name, address) to verify they are accurate?

The CRA is where the matching of reporting with the correct file takes place, so I would send them a simple letter, providing your personal identification information, and also, if possible, those of your dad, and ask them to check against their matching criteria.  I might be easily corrected if your records provide matching personal identifiers that can clear up the error at the CRA.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I talked to the creditor they agreed that they do not have any record of me being tied to any account on record for them, ever. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.