cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to remove/dispute wrongly reported Info.

tag
breakdown1987
Valued Member

Fastest way to remove/dispute wrongly reported Info.

I posted this once before and was advised to file a BBC complaint but I haven't had much luck. Quick background of what's going on.

Here's the story(I'll try and keep it short). I had a car financed through a third party bank earlier this year. This bank was I'd like to say bought out by another bank therefore my loan was transferred. During this time a 'reinstated rep' popped up on all three of my credit reports. I immediately called the bank, wrote a letter disputing this information. They immediately called me approximately a week later, apologizing and promised to remove this from all my credit reports..EX and EQ have both jumped back up to 750+ respectively. However, TU is still reporting a 'reinstated repo'. We are going on the 8th month of this!!!  Everytime I call I get the same thing, "we will update it again, check again next month." I'd rather avoid disputing this information due the fact that it's probably guaranteed to take another 45-70 days to remove.

The bank did provide me with a letter stating the 'reinstated repo' was incorrect. I'm looking for advice on what's the FASTEST way to get this removed? I ask FASTEST way due to the fact I've hit more than my goal to buy a new home amd can't move forward without fixing this.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fastest way to remove/dispute wrongly reported Info.

If it's reporting incorrectly and there was no repo, then I'd dispute. It won't take 45-70 days...likely under 30-45. Show the CRA your proof and they'll delete the TL or have the comment removed for you.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If, in prior resolution of the issue, you disputed the accuracy with one CRA, but it was not therafter deleted from all CRAs, then the fault is with the creditor.

When a party takes an action in resolution of a dispute, such as correcting or deleting the disputed information, it is not sufficient for the party to then report the results only to the CRA through which the dispute was handled.  They are required, under FCRA 623(b)(1)(D), to report the results to each CRA to which they have previously reported the information.

I would suggest that you first call the creditor, and remind them of their obligation under section 623(b)(1)(D) to have promptly reported the results to all CRAs.

Of course, a phone call does not compel results.  Using the facts provided, I would follow up your informal call with a formal direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), thus putting them under a statutory period of 30-ish days to complete an investigation and correct their inaccurate reporting.

Message 3 of 4
breakdown1987
Valued Member

Here's an update for those with similar problems... I was told by a TU representative since an account is closed they will no longer update the status of that account. I was than refered to E-Oscar (google it) to get them to change it. My contact at the bank got with E-Oscar today and I was told it would be updated tonight and withn 48 hours my TU report should reflect the change.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.