Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedLoan Late payments Removed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FedLoan Late payments Removed.

For anyone who is curious, I have successfully removed 180 day late Fed Loan Payments.

I WAS late, after months of my situation with no improvement, I called Fed Loan and they granted me Retroactive Forbearance for the time I was late. 6 months later i wanted to start working on fixing my credit score. I pulled my credit reports and FED LOAN was showing 6 months of late payments(obviously a huge hit!), I found my fed loan letter of approval that they sent me granting me the Forbearance. I read up a little bit on how to fix my credit score. I read over and over that Fed loan was unwilling to remove any late payments that have already incurred, even if the forbearance has been approved. I read that many people didn't have luck with calling fed loan or other student loan providers, who were unwilling to remove late payments because "they already happened" and they are required to report correct information. However, I thought that it was unfair, why would they grant me forbearance if it pretty much meant nothing? What was the point. I found a chapter in laws that states that furnishes are required to UPDATE correct information. This wouldn't be lying on their part, they would simply be UPDATING my information with the forbearance THEY granted me. I decided not to dispute with fed loan. I decided to go straight to the credit bureaus, I sent them the letter of approval that fed loan themselves had sent me! well.... I won the dispute. my score jumped up my 48 points!!! so if anyone is running late on student loans, Retroactive forbearance would be the smartest thing you can do.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FedLoan Late payments Removed.

I have one 90 day late reporting, and now got a successful deferment. I asked nelnet to remove the lates. no go. do you think I should contact them regarding retro forebearance? do you know if they'd even consider while in deferment?  they are reporting paid as agreed, but that 90 day late put that account in the baddies. 

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

What were the dates the deferement was posted for????  if you can find a letter from them, it will tell you when exactly, if the letter states that those months that are reporting late are COVERED under the deferement then dispute it with credit B's. most likely youll win. If the deferement period doesnt seem to cover the late period then I would CALL AND ASK FOR FOREBEARANCE FOR THE LATE PERIOD, if they grant that, get it in WRITING and then file a dispute with the credit b's. ALWAYS get everything in writing (mine automatically sends everything in writing so i have all my records). I will tell you that i got a deferement before and they did cover the late payments, fortunately they didnt have to remove any lates from then cause they havent reported them yet so I didnt have to deal with that previously. Also, i wouldnt ask the student loan provider for the deletion of the lates off your credit yet, just ask for deferement coverage period or forebearance covering the late period that has already happened.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you, i'm going to look at the account now. i have electronic messages w/ them so I should have the approval of everything. the 90 day late is reporting in Jun 2015, the defer started in July 2015 (I thought it was sept but mistaken). so to me it looks like they granted me the defer but kept and reported the lates. 

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

there you go! looks like youve got yourself a good case. your welcome! if its off by one month id still call and ask for additional forbearance for that month, it never hurts to ask! if they approve it, youre likely to get all this removed.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most student loan companies want to help. I'm rebuilding mine and my husbands credit right now and he went into default w/ great lakes. I applied for an income-driven repayment program and it automatically put him into forberance wiping out his 90 days past due account. the next month I checked his credit and it shot up a whopping 68 points!

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks again I just emailed them and reexplained what was being reported on my credit and basically said what you did in your letter, that I thought the deferment was supposed to provide a solution for repay, and eliminate any negative reporting blah blah. I will give them a few days to respond, and follow up near end of week by phone. hopefully they will remove easily, they have been very nice to work with in the past. fingers crossed. 

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

just a quick update, just spoke to them on phone, she confirmed that deferment was made to be retro since mar 2015 until feb 2016. she said she could do an internal dispute but cautioned that it could negatively mark credit if proved accurate.....I decided not to have her do so in fear that i'd get the standard we have to report etc etc letter. but asked her to send me copy of her documentation stating the deferment was from Mar. 

Once I receive I'm going to send copies to all three cra's.....with same arguement, if I was in period of deferment, why am I being penalized. 

overall she was great to deal with. I was just sad when logging in that I didn't have record of original letter as I thought, and i'm going to try and scour my files to see where I put the original while I wait for her to send me hers. 

once again, thanks for the help. I had pretty much resolved myself as to always having this hit, but your post gave me hope for getting it removed. and you're right, it's not fair, applying for defer or forebearance was supposed to help and allieviate, not further penalize. so double thanks

Message 8 of 31
FIRECOURAGE
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for posting. After seeing this I went back and took a closer look at the letters I received from my student loan provider- AES. It turns out my letter says my loans were retroactively applied from 11/04/2013 through 03/11/2014. This covers the lates of 1/4/2014 & 2/4/2014 that are currently reporting as lates on my credit report. Already have the dispute letters & a copy of the letter prepared to go out to the CRAs. Now I need to see if Fed loan will retro one that is reporting late from the same time period.

4/01/2019 | Dismissed Chapter 7 BK

2/12/2024 | Equifax: 677 | Experian: 699 | TransUnion: 725
Goal Score: 750 - Across The Board
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

woohoo, got them to email me verifying the dates and it does cover from 3 months before the 90 day late until feb 2016.

question, do I have to print and mail, or can I file and online dispute directly with CRA and upload docs? thanks so much again, having these removed would be great since everything else isn't going to well for now, it'd be one small triumph

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.