Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Student Loan Garnishment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Federal Student Loan Garnishment

My wife has a federal student loan she didn't pay for awhile.  Since last year there was a "Student Loan" garnishment on her paycheck.  Well we thought it was the state student loan that was taking it.  But today we find out it was the federal government.  I thought for a granishment it had to go through the court and an order had to be issued ot have the money garnished.  Can they just garnish it without any court orders?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mystro9876
Regular Contributor

Re: Federal Student Loan Garnishment

There probably was a court date which was missed, and at that point, the judge automatically rules in favor of the plaintiff.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope no court date and I have search the county records and no indications of a judgement

Message 3 of 6
rhodgkiss

This is exactly what happened to me! Yes they can get your paycheck garnished. Mine is through PHEAA. It will take me 3.3 yrs to pay it off. But at least it will be paid. I tried to send in my financials stating it was causing a harship. No success. So I just have to suck it up for awhile. Good advise here, pay the minimum required or defer..defer...defer.

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is called an Administrative Wage Garnishment.  Yes it is legal but, you should have received some sort of written notification 30 days prior to the beginning of the garnishment.

They can also offset your Federal Income Tax return without notice. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife has a federal student loan she didn't pay for awhile.  Since last year there was a "Student Loan" garnishment on her paycheck.  Well we thought it was the state student loan that was taking it.  But today we find out it was the federal government.  I thought for a granishment it had to go through the court and an order had to be issued ot have the money garnished.  Can they just garnish it without any court orders?

It's nice to be the federal government where you can legally take and answer questions about it later. 

It is, unfortunately, legal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.