Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Tax Lien

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Federal Tax Lien

Disputing accurately reporting information is illegal and against the TOS of the forums.

Message 11 of 26
mauve
Valued Contributor

The phrasing OP was considering wasn't violating ToS, as far as I could tell - simply explicitly asking for the item to be removed because it was paid.  Didn't seem dishonest, just not very likely to work.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 26
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, a 'Public Record' is just that, a Public Record and once the lien is filed with the Recorder of Deeds in whatever county you live in, there's not much else you can do but wait it out until the Recorder of Deeds removes it (archives) that information and it can no longer be available in any search by a CRA. That'll be about 7 years 'AFTER' the lien release date. This is my opinion.

I'm speaking from experience with this sort of thing but it doesn't always mean my situation will be the benchmark for you.

I went so far as to sit down with an IRS agent and showed her a certified copy of the release of lien (paid), my payment agreement with the IRS and reasoned with her that I should have never had a lien filed........the agent wrote out a letter to the Recorder of Deeds requesting removal of the lien and release of lien (withdrawal) all while I waited in her office. She was very helpful and fully agreed that the lien and release of lien should be withdrawn and removed from the county public records....However, the Recorder of Deeds in this particular county in California ignored the request (has ignored my letters and phone calls) and the lien AND the release of lien is still available in their online database search engine. That means that any potential creditor or employer, if they do a search, there will still be an IRS 'lien' and doesn't really say whether or not it has been 'settled' or paid. It just shows that I have a 'lien' and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it...for another 2 years and by that time it will be past 7 years and they're required by law to remove it.

Message 13 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

Unfortunately, a 'Public Record' is just that, a Public Record and once the lien is filed with the Recorder of Deeds in whatever county you live in, there's not much else you can do but wait it out until the Recorder of Deeds removes it (archives) that information and it can no longer be available in any search by a CRA. That'll be about 7 years 'AFTER' the lien release date. This is my opinion.

I'm speaking from experience with this sort of thing but it doesn't always mean my situation will be the benchmark for you.

I went so far as to sit down with an IRS agent and showed her a certified copy of the release of lien (paid), my payment agreement with the IRS and reasoned with her that I should have never had a lien filed........the agent wrote out a letter to the Recorder of Deeds requesting removal of the lien and release of lien (withdrawal) all while I waited in her office. She was very helpful and fully agreed that the lien and release of lien should be withdrawn and removed from the county public records....However, the Recorder of Deeds in this particular county in California ignored the request (has ignored my letters and phone calls) and the lien AND the release of lien is still available in their online database search engine. That means that any potential creditor or employer, if they do a search, there will still be an IRS 'lien' and doesn't really say whether or not it has been 'settled' or paid. It just shows that I have a 'lien' and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it...for another 2 years and by that time it will be past 7 years and they're required by law to remove it.

Tax liens - 7 years from date paid.

I would say you are just having a hard time of it.  By law, if it is paid it must show paid.

Also, many have had success getting a paid tax lien removed from their CR. 

Message 14 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mauve wrote:

The phrasing OP was considering wasn't violating ToS, as far as I could tell - simply explicitly asking for the item to be removed because it was paid.  Didn't seem dishonest, just not very likely to work.

I was making a general comment.  I read and understood what the OP was wanting to do.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

Disputing accurately reporting information is illegal and against the TOS of the forums.

Good thing I wasn't talking about doing that!

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

>>>  Also, many have had success getting a paid tax lien removed from their CR. 

YES!  That's what I'm talkin' about!  How? How did they do it?

For me, that would be like the philosopher's stone of credit, the universal solvent, Archimedes' lever, a sort of fiscal WMD, if you will.

I'm not sure there's a way of doing that, but I'd like to find it.  A way, I mean, besides waiting another 4 years, 1 month, and 25 days, not that I'm counting.

Message 17 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can call who ever filed the lien, IRS or your state tax accessor.

They are the ones who can have it removed.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

You can call who ever filed the lien, IRS or your state tax accessor.

They are the ones who can have it removed.

G56, thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Dealing with the IRS is step #4 in my original plan in the OP.  I'm pretty sure the IRS isn't going to have any interest in my situation whatsoever, but it's worth a shot.  I think that the IRS has a set number of actions that they do with liens, and "remove because it's paid" isn't one of those actions.  And I think there's no reason for them to entertain withdrawing the lien, because they've gotten their money.

If anyone out there has actually done this, speak up!

Message 19 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There have been posters who have called the IRS and had them removed.  You won't know till you try.

You can also do a search on here for IRS tax liens and see what you come up with.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.