Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Requested for Dispute Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feedback Requested for Dispute Letter

I am considering sending a dispute letter to 3 collection agencies that hold 8 accounts in total for medical bills from 2010/2011 that should have been covered by my insurance.  I am not sure if I should even attempt this, but the goal is to have them removed from my credit report as I am trying to purchase a home.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

This letter is to inform you that I have recently pulled my credit report and noticed that there is a collection listing from your agency on my report. I have never been notified of this collection action by you or any other company on this matter.  Please be advised that I am disputing the legitimacy of this debt listed on my credit report as per my rights under the Fair Debt Collection practices Act.  

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.  In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at 16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

Identification of the specific information being disputed:

• Copy of my credit report with the account circled

I have researched this matter and request that you do not contact me about this unfounded debt, other than in writing in response to this letter within 30 days of the date of this letter and only at which time you are able to provide validation of this debt by furnishing the following information from the original creditor:

• Proof of ledger of the above referenced account;
  • Proof they you are licensed to collect in the state of California;
  • Proof that the statute of limitations has not passed; and
  • Proof the debt is mine including documentation with my signature.

Under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(E) and 16 CFR §660.4, you have the duty to review all of the information I have provided to you, to complete your investigation of this Direct Dispute within 30-days of my Notice of Direct Dispute, and report directly back to me the results of your investigation within 5-days of your completion of your investigation.

Should you find the disputed information to be inaccurate or incomplete, or if you cannot verify the accuracy or completeness of the disputed information, you are additionally required, under FCRA 623((1)(E), to also promptly notify the credit reporting agencies of deletion of this information from my credit file. 

I thank you for your time and prompt attention on this matter.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Feedback Requested for Dispute Letter

You are mixing apples and oranges.

A "dispute" under the FDCPA,, better known as a debt validation (DV) request, is different than a direct dispute sent to the debt collector.

A DV under FDCPA 809(b) does not require that there be any credit reporting, and does not require identification of any inaccuracy in credit reporting.

The consumer simply must state that they request validation. 

A DV request does not require any response by the debt collector.

Its effect is that, if timely, it invokes a cease collection bar on the debt collector, which remains in effect until they provide the requested validation.

They can choose to never respond, and simply discontinue any further active collection activities.

To be timelly, the DV must be sent within 30 days after receipt of dunning notice.  Otherwise, they can ignore it and go on about their business as usual.

A direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) must identifiy a speciifc inaccuracy in their reporting, and provide sufficient basis for permitting them ot investigate the accuracy.

A simple statemetn that you dispute the debt is not adequate,and can be dismissed without any investigation on their part.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.