Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling better but in that in between credit spot

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeling better but in that in between credit spot

I have been working hard on my rebuild for just over a year now.  When  Istarted I was low 500's EX and TU and around 490 EQ.  I only had 1 credit card (a $500 Capital one Platinum) and a car loan with some late payments.  Other collections and deaulted student loans as well.

I'm happy to say that I have crawled out of the gutter (656 EX, 645 TU, 629 EQ) and am now safely in an in between state for credit.  I've closed any subprime cards (Credit one) and some store cards, but I'm still waiting for my Discover secured to unsecure and am slowly getting approved for better cards (AMEX, Cap One QS, Apple Fed Credit Union) but they come with low SL.  Typically around $1k.  CLI still are hard to come by but am getting them here and there.

I'm so looking forward to the day that I can get large credit limits.  It's been a long road but I'm starting to see the light at the eld of the tunnel!!

Thank you to everyone on this board.  We may all be at different points in our journey, but it's so nice to have such a greap place to get advice, or just rant!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feeling better but in that in between credit spot

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been working hard on my rebuild for just over a year now.  When  Istarted I was low 500's EX and TU and around 490 EQ.  I only had 1 credit card (a $500 Capital one Platinum) and a car loan with some late payments.  Other collections and deaulted student loans as well.

I'm happy to say that I have crawled out of the gutter (656 EX, 645 TU, 629 EQ) and am now safely in an in between state for credit.  I've closed any subprime cards (Credit one) and some store cards, but I'm still waiting for my Discover secured to unsecure and am slowly getting approved for better cards (AMEX, Cap One QS, Apple Fed Credit Union) but they come with low SL.  Typically around $1k.  CLI still are hard to come by but am getting them here and there.

I'm so looking forward to the day that I can get large credit limits.  It's been a long road but I'm starting to see the light at the eld of the tunnel!!

Thank you to everyone on this board.  We may all be at different points in our journey, but it's so nice to have such a greap place to get advice, or just rant!

That's what I can't wait to happen for me. I'm 3 months in with Credit One and every few days I recheck finances to see if it's prudent to kill it. Kudos for staying the course. The hardest part about rebuilding credit is being patient.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How was credit one? I'm about 3 months into rebuilding with ex 595 tu 549 eq 567. I have a discover secured 700 fingerhut 400 openskyy 500 and Berkshire 200. I got a preapproval email for creditone. Should I use it?  

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would stay away from Credit one if I were you. The discover card is great. If you want another card and have the $ to do it I would get a better card that is secured and graduates. Maybe Capital One.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Do you think I would be approved?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are probably others that have a much better idea of what your chances are.  I do know that Captial One has a preapproval page that you can check to see if you're can preapprove for it.  I didn't preapprove for anything but I got approved for the platinum when I was rebuilding

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There are probably others that have a much better idea of what your chances are.  I do know that Captial One has a preapproval page that you can check to see if you're can preapprove for it.  I didn't preapprove for anything but I got approved for the platinum when I was rebuilding

+1 Check for preapproval...pretty acurate from my personal experience...good luck!!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I would much rather get a platinum. What were your scores around when you applied?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember what my scores were back when I got that card, but try the preapproval site for Capital One. It's a SP so you won't take a hit for checking
Message 9 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Hubby's scores were in the mid 500's when he got an unsecured card from Cap1, and I had no score at all.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.