Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling defeated

tag
earlyKY
Regular Contributor

Feeling defeated

Hey Everyone,

I have recently taken a break from rebuilding to regroup but I'm still feeling defeated. I have managed to get all of my collection accounts removed (either by disputing incorrect items or PFD) except for three fairly small medical bills. I have made arrangements to have these PFD once I get my tax return.

I was finally able to get MIDLAND deleted from all 3 bureaus, but didn't increase my score any Smiley Sad that was a big blow, because I really expected it to.

Also, I have had ZERO luck goodwilling late payments, both from open accounts and closed accounts.

Any tips for making goodwill letters successful?? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Feeling defeated

First of all, Congrats on getting all but 3 of your baddies removed!!!! Remember, this credit rebuild game is a long hard road, but you and I, like most others on this site will get there. I know its hard, but try to put yourself on a schedule for checking your scores otherwise it will drive you absolutely nuts! AND, put yourself on a schedule for sending goodwills. 

Step one, make the letter as personal as possible.....Goodwilling is all about getting the right person on the right day...so don't stop sending them, when I started, I was sending GW Letters 20 TL(5 Charge Offs, 12 Paid Collections, 3 Late Payments) every two weeks. After 6 rounds of letters, I am down to (2 Charge Offs, 2 Paid Collections, 1 Midland, and 2 TL with late payments. 

Its good to know which companies GW and which ones usually dont. These companies gave me GW removals: Portfolio Recovery (2), Midland (1), Target (deleted the whole TL...even though I was asking for late pymt removal, AFNI, RA. Rogers, 1st Financial FCU, and Nationwide Credit Corp. Meanwhile, Capital One (2 C/O), Suntrust Bank, VS (Comenity), and Fair Collections Outsourcing give me the impression they aren't going to budge. 

You can do this!!!! I didn't realize how much progress I made until I typed this response...think about how much better your credit health is than it was 1 year ago...and how much better it will be 6 months from now. Give yourself a break.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

I'm pretty new here, but I just wanted to offer my two cents.

First of all, congratulations on all the progress you've made so far! You really have done quite well for yourself Be proud.

Secondly, as far as the GW letters go, it seems the key is persistance. If at first you don't succeed, try try again, you know? You might just get someone who your letter will appeal to. Just write a letter from your standpoint and be truthful. A form letter you pull off the internet may not be the way to go here. Just try to get them on your side.

A friend of mine who has been helping me a lot through this told me something that's kept me at it - when it comes to credit, it's never a "no". It's a "not now". It will take time, but you will get where you need to be.  Good luck!!

Message 3 of 4
earlyKY
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

The goodwill letters I have tried are for 3 seperate credit cards (first premier, capitalone, and creditone). This accounts are all still open but I do have some lates showing up. The other letter I have been sending is to a local loan office. The loan was paid off in 2010, but over the course of the loan I made several late payments.

my equifax and experian reports show no collection accounts and no judgements (transunion has 3 collections remaining and a paid judgement) so I feel like the only thing left to help my EQ and EX scores is to get some of these late payments removed.... I'm just not having any luck doing so Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.