Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feels like its taking FOREVER...... :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feels like its taking FOREVER...... :(

I've been trying for a year now to improve my score, I mean its going up but at a slow pace. I'm wanting to move out of my Mom's house (who also had bad credit when she made a purchase on her house) and get into a house of my own with good interest rate. There is no way that is possible with my score now. It is me who put myself in deep debt and now I must climb my way up a steep mountain. I was at a low point in my life about 3 yrs ago when my score was a lovely 720 and just let everything go down the financial drain (including my 720 score), except for my car that I love dearly. From a Fico simulator, its saying if I keep up with my current good credit cards and make payments over a 2 yr period I should have a decent enough score to get out on my own. I'd like to hear others with their success stories, please share and inspire me! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: Feels like its taking FOREVER...... :(

I completely understand... it's a slow and frustrating process. I started about a year ago, but admittedly, didn;t know what I was doing (hadn't found myfico.com yet) so I essentially saw no progress and wasted a year because I wasn't doing the right things. I've made major progress on the negatives in the last 6 months and am now working on paying off my credit card debt and in turn, will lower my utilization % and should provide the boost I need to buy a home next Spring.

What are the factors that are bringing your score down? Obviously some baddies are a quicker fix than others.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have 3 accounts that were written off as Bad Debt and 2 accounts that are 120 days past due. I'm wondering if I pay off my most recent past due accounts, will that help? I was in a financial crisis a year ago, but with my stable job I'm able to catch up.
Message 3 of 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

If they're being counted in your utilization, paying the balances down will help your score. 

Ideally, you would pay them and get the derogatory (chargeoff / lates) information removed while keeping the accounts listed.  Even better if you can re-open them, too.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'm currently trying to pay down my Best Buy CC acct (almost 10 yrs old) which I owe about 900 to them. Along with my current good payment history with Best Buy I'm making larger payments of $100-150 with in combination of the minimum payment due. I'm hoping if I drop that account lower in % it will increase my CS.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.