cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few old late payments worth GW letter with Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Few old late payments worth GW letter with Capital One?

I was looking at my credit report and have three 60 day lates on capital one accounts back in 2014. I have paid off and closed all the accounts and since have two new capital one cards that have never had a late. Is it worth sending the GW letter to remove the 60 day lates? The credit report doesnt show the full credit card number so i would have to track down those account numbers I suppose via capital one? Do I have to send all the letters snail mail and finally will have at least a small boost in my credit score? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Few old late payments worth GW letter with Capital One?

Ok one general question..how do I find the old account numbers? I just found a BOA one in 2015 that was late...I have been with them for 28 years and generally have been near perfect. How do I get the old account numbers to send the letters? Also is there addresses somewhere in the forum of where to send them for the different banks?

Message 2 of 6
lisabobisa
Valued Member

Hey! Try calling CapOne customer service, they will have record of all your account numbers.

Also, I was successful at my attempt to GW CapOne on a single 30-day late for my auto loan that occured in Feb 2012. The loan has sinced closed in otherwise good standing. I snailed my letter and also directly emailed the CEO in Jan 2017. I did not saturate them, as I did not want to come off aggressive. In my letter I was sure to:

1. clearly state the request,

2. show gratitude for the original loan product,

3. admit and apologize for wrongdoing,

4. explain the circumstances that contributed to wrongdoing (ie. personal tragedies; un-/underemployment),

5. use examples to demonstrate a more healthy financial status (ie. I have two CapOne credit cards that have been in goodstanding since 2012),

6. hint at an interest in future products offered by the lender and the benefit they will have on you or your family (ie. it will make me proud to secure a CapOne auto loan to purchase a vehicle for my daughter's upcoming college graduation), and,

7. thank the addressee for their time and consideration

Within a week, I received a call back from a representative in his office who stated that they would honor my request. I can attest to the positive outcome a GW letter can have! It felt great to know that they listened, understood and were willing to forgive my error. Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much do you have the email that you sent it to or where to find it? Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
lisabobisa
Valued Member

I think it’s against the rules to share contact information. But I found it easily just by googling ‘capital one ceo email’ and ‘capital one ceo mailing address’
Message 5 of 6
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

Great guide to a successful GW letter Lisa, I also had success with C1. They can be one of the hardest to have a GW completed with, but they do them and have a history of approving GW requests just not always on the first attempt.

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.