Re: Fiance's old credit mistake hurt her credit - solutions?

[ Edited ]

Ive read that the process of adding an authorized user on a CC no longer boosts the FICO scores, due to misuse by people selling "stakes" of users on their good accounts.

Though, as usual, the internet is rife with contradictions regarding the subject

Also, with respect to the GW letters, is it necessary to have the full original account numbers? Im not sure my fiance kept any of the information about those accounts, and all of the information in the CRs is redacted with respect to the account number.

Frequent Contributor

FlyByWire wrote:

Ive read that the process of adding an authorized user on a CC no longer boosts the FICO scores, due to misuse by people selling "stakes" of users on their good accounts.

I read that a few years ago when the new scoring was supposed to come out.  When I originally added her as an AU on my cards, her scores instantly went from mid 500's up to mid 600's.  Last I checked (August 2010) she was close to 700, so they were still factored into her scores from this site.

Senior Contributor

FlyByWire wrote:

Though, as usual, the internet is rife with contradictions regarding the subject

Also, with respect to the GW letters, is it necessary to have the full original account numbers? Im not sure my fiance kept any of the information about those accounts, and all of the information in the CRs is redacted with respect to the account number.

The new TU 08 that came out tried to get rid of the AU bonuses but they got turned down, so AU accounts still affect the score, good and bad, depending on the account.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Epic Contributor

I believe the decision to back off on the elimination of AU inclusion in credit scoring had to do with some possilbe legal implications under the Equal Credit Opportunities Act.

Not sure of the details.

Anyone can post advice on the internet.  The tons of silly DV letters that abound, requiring everthing from a debt collector other than their first-born,  are a testament to that unfortunate fact.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.