cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score dropped after getting new cards.

tag
KJamesJR
Established Member

Fico score dropped after getting new cards.

I had my fico score up to 659 recently. I came back from a score of 510 last year with just a First Progress secured card. Its now dropped to 638. I've had a lot of inquiries lately. I got a few dings from a mortgage officer trying to get approved. I think he dinged it twice. He suggested I keep building my credit. So I ap'd for three more cards. Barclays, chase freedom and discover. I didn't get the discover. I did get the barclays with a limit of $750, and chase gave me $3500.

Is it typical for your score to drop before going back up? How long before the chase and barclays start increasing my score.

Starting Score: 510
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fico score dropped after getting new cards.

@KJamesJR wrote:

I had my fico score up to 659 recently. I came back from a score of 510 last year with just a First Progress secured card. Its now dropped to 638. I've had a lot of inquiries lately. I got a few dings from a mortgage officer trying to get approved. I think he dinged it twice. He suggested I keep building my credit. So I ap'd for three more cards. Barclays, chase freedom and discover. I didn't get the discover. I did get the barclays with a limit of $750, and chase gave me $3500.

Is it typical for your score to drop before going back up? How long before the chase and barclays start increasing my score.

You have "new account ding," plus the HPs, and a shortened AAoA that pulled down your credit.  I'm guessing the CLs didn't help your UTIL too much, or you might have actually seen an increase.

What baddies do you have?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Wow @ Chase giving 3.5k and Discover not approving. I would recon the discover as I'm shocked they didn't approve when Chase did.

Message 3 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Call for reconsideration.  Don't take a decline until you've exhausted every avenue.

Those new accounts and inquiries have dinged your scores, but will recover.

Message 4 of 5
KJamesJR
Established Member

Sorry for the late reply. Been too busy to remember I had this thread going.

My baddies are 3 delinquencies on my student loan from four years ago. Late payments. Im trying to dispute them because at the time they were suppose to be in deferment, but I have no way to prove that.

I did call discovers customer service back. I didnt use a backdoor number but spoke to an app manager. She told me I could get the card with a co-signer which simply isnt going to happen. You think I should call the back door number? The only issue now is; I app'd for the card when my fico was 659, its now lower. Wont they be less likely to approve now than before?

I was surprised Chase gave me a card with that high a limit. From what I hear they are kinda stringent. Then again my credit file is pretty clean. Im hoping to get a cli from Barclay's as I've been using them to pay all my utilities.

I was going to ask another question but competely forgot what that was going to be lol.

Starting Score: 510
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.