Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico scores?

Does anyone know if the scores that are purchased through Experian are the actual FICO scores that lenders use to determine credit worthiness? It says it's a FICO 8.
I have accounts with several places that give me credit scores , credit seasame, nerd wallet, and capital one and the numbers are VERY far off from the scores given to me by experian. The 3 bureaus from experian are all within 5 points of each other but the scores from the free sites are 30- 80 points lower. Which is the right ones?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fico scores?

The majority of lenders uses FICO.  There are different versions of FICO but FICO is the most used and the score you want to go by.

Credit Karma, Wallet Hub, Transunion, Credit Sessemi uses Vantage scoring.  Equifax uses a Equifax score.  These are educational scores.

Experian 3 CB Report uses FICO.  Your Experian FICO 8 score is different between FICO 8 Equifax and FICO 8 Transunion.  Different CB collects different information, and this minor difference is enough to give you different scores between the 3.  For me, Equifax is my strongest score, but for you it could be Transunion.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 2 of 18
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

My fico scores from Experian.com are the same like those purchased here (myfico.com) same scores on creditchecktotal, those purchased from Equifax are lower. 

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

which fico source do you reccomend

Message 4 of 18
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

I honestly like theExperian 3-Bureau Credit Report and FICO Scores because I can pull my reports and scores daily. (For all 3 you have to order the reports, which is free w/ subscription).  If you are a person who wants to check daily this is the best route.  This will give you FICO8 scores.  This is what I use, and honestly the score simulator is fairly accurate too. (It only works for your experian score).

myFico (This site) has a 28 score report you can get.  They do monitor your credit reports for changes, but it is delayed from experience.  This is also FICO based, but it tells you all your FICO scores. Your fico8 updates as it detects changes, and your 25 other scores under the 28 report is quartly.  You also get signed up for this black market service and if your credit card was ever compermised, it will find it and it keeps an eye out for anything going foward too.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate all the advice. Experians 3b fico is showing I have had a 70 point increase with all 3 bureaus since April so I didn't want to get my hopes up if the score wasn't legit. Thanks for all the advice.
Message 6 of 18
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If you are wanting to track your scores for a mortgage or auto loan I'd suggest getting your scores from here because they peovidevthise in the 28 different versions.
Message 7 of 18
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the 70 point increase! You must of been working your little ass off getting to where your at. Hardwork pays off.

Message 8 of 18
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the boards Mmg!!!  And congrats on that score increase too!

If you have any questions or need help with any credit topics or questions, you're going to find a lot of excellent info here. 

Been a member here for years & these folks got me from the low 500's to the high 700's!!  Heart

Personally, I've found that other site forums (like Credit Karma, Quizzle, etc.), have so much misinformation it's painful to read!  When I have tried to explain to folks that creditors don't use the scores on those sites...I was repoerted!  I gave up on trying to educate them...lol

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrTom wrote:

I honestly like theExperian 3-Bureau Credit Report and FICO Scores because I can pull my reports and scores daily. (For all 3 you have to order the reports, which is free w/ subscription).  If you are a person who wants to check daily this is the best route.  This will give you FICO8 scores.  This is what I use, and honestly the score simulator is fairly accurate too. (It only works for your experian score).

myFico (This site) has a 28 score report you can get.  They do monitor your credit reports for changes, but it is delayed from experience.  This is also FICO based, but it tells you all your FICO scores. Your fico8 updates as it detects changes, and your 25 other scores under the 28 report is quartly.  You also get signed up for this black market service and if your credit card was ever compermised, it will find it and it keeps an eye out for anything going foward too.

Can you link to the Experian 3-Bureau Credit Report.  I would like to take a look at it.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.