Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico scoring and bankruptcy vs. taking care of debts

tag
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Fico scoring and bankruptcy vs. taking care of debts

Does anyone else find it disturbing that one can file a bankruptcy, completely eliminate their debts and start over and have a 700 fico score in less than a year, but others pay off all of their charged off debts and satisfy past due accounts and have to wait years to improve their scores? Am i just a little crazy? or does the system seem a little broken?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico scoring and bankruptcy vs. taking care of debts

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that one can file a bankruptcy, completely eliminate their debts and start over and have a 700 fico score in less than a year, but others pay off all of their charged off debts and satisfy past due accounts and have to wait years to improve their scores? Am i just a little crazy? or does the system seem a little broken?

It generally takes about 2 years to break 700, but the drawback is that you won't get much above that for ten years after filing date, versus seven for regular derogs.

And with regular derogs - you can get into the 700 within a few (2-3) years, as long as everything is paid off, and no further derogs are posted.

Message 2 of 8
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Thanks for that Norman, that makes sense.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on how bad your derogs are and how you are able to deal with them - without a BK you can get over 700 in a matter of months.   (I went from low 5's to low 7's in 6 months)  

A BK is going to take WAY longer than that - not to mention just the fact that you have a BK will turn many lenders off  for several years as well. (mortgages have to wait at least 2 years) 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on how bad your derogs are and how you are able to deal with them - without a BK you can get over 700 in a matter of months.   (I went from low 5's to low 7's in 6 months)  

A BK is going to take WAY longer than that - not to mention just the fact that you have a BK will turn many lenders off  for several years as well. (mortgages have to wait at least 2 years) 

Yup! Got to keep in mind its not *all* about the scores. Quite a few lenders will not even give you the time of day if you have a BK, no matter your score.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would want nothing to do with a BK. I've fought my way up from the high 400s/ low 500s and though the path was long, it only took 5 years. BK's and 10 years of that black mark is definitely not for me.

Message 6 of 8
cem13
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would want nothing to do with a BK. I've fought my way up from the high 400s/ low 500s and though the path was long, it only took 5 years. BK's and 10 years of that black mark is definitely not for me.

To each his own applies here.  I DC over $80K in CC debt, $100K underwater Mortgage.  My scores were 700 in 22 months.

While I will agree that my scores are still 700-710 even after 5 years of filing; I have almost $200K in unsecured credit, I did a short sale to myself and dropped my Mortgage balance about $40K.  I will be completely debt free before my BK7 ages off.

It was impossible for me to "get ahead" paying the high interest credit cards as I was barely paying the minimum; for over 10 years I might add.  But now, I have ZERO CC debt, a new car loan and the student loans that survived the BK7.

So while I respect those that choose to stick it out, I was at the best financial point of my entire life 2 years post DC and it is only getting better with each passing year.  I will now be able to retire before 60, have a retirement home in the Carolina's and maybe enough money to travel the world.  BK laws are their to help rebuild.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 7 of 8
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@cem13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To each his own applies here.

So while I respect those that choose to stick it out, I was at the best financial point of my entire life 2 years post DC and it is only getting better with each passing year. 

That's right on time cem!

It's becoming a lot judgmental on here. I think myFICO is getting "away" from what it's "supposed" to be. JMO. Turning all Facebook-like....

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.