Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico simulator?

Simulator Results

Your current FICO® Score is:

Your simulated FICO® score would be in the following range:

686 – 716
Apply for and Receive a New Credit Card With a $300 Limit

Consumers seeking and obtaining new credit are generally riskier than consumers who are not. The impact on your FICO® score will vary depending on your current credit profile. The score takes into consideration the level of your existing credit history (recently opened files vs. more mature files for example), the amount of recently opened credit you currently have on file and other factors.

This simulation is based on your applying for and receiving a new credit card with a limit of at least $300.

Bottom Line: Only apply for credit that you really need. The sudden ramp up of new credit in a short period of time can have a more substantial impact on your score.

Does this seem right? Should I expect that much of an increase or is this based on paying the card on time for 24 months or something? Anyone seen a big jump in scores when opening their first credit card?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Fico simulator?

Opening your first (and second, I think) cards should increase your score.   30% of your score is based on your utilization, i.e., your % used of revolving (read: credit cards) credit.  10% is based on your mix of credit.  You improve both of these by acquiring your first card.  People who already have accounts on their reports are dropping their average age of accounts when they open a new card. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll get the best FICO impact when opening your first CC, if you choose to open a bank/national CC.

DH's score went up 29 points when he had no open CC's and opened an Orchard card.

My score increase was 20 points.

Both of us had several other CC's reporting on our CR's - however they had all been closed for some time.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I expect some increase, maybe 20-25 points, but the simulator says my score will go up 70-100 points, It would be great if it is accuarate but I'll be happy with anything that gets me above the 620 score I'm shooting for.

Message 4 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Most of the time the simulator will give you a time period needed to get the results of the action or actions(s).

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, I'm not sure about that aspect of it. It says "seek new credit" and I opted to apply and receive w new cc with a $300 limit. With that being said maybe it's over a 24 month time period, but who knows.
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FICO simulator is intentionally vague, gives projections for only one category of improvment at a time, and then only over long periods of time.

The FICO simulator wont permit you so see the multiple interaction of different changes made to different scoring categories, and certainly not to isolate one change over a short period.

The FICO algorithm is a proprietary trade secret.  The more specific it gets, the more it subjects their scoring algorithms to "reverse engineering," and thus loss of their business value.  It just wont happen.  It is a very, very general tool.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.