Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fighting with Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
kevinlee28
New Contributor

Fighting with Portfolio Recovery Associates

I noticed on my credit reports that Portfolio Recovery is reporting a charge off Cap one card stating that i have a balance of $1288 due. they are reporting this as a revoling acct - All bureaus say that i do not have any open collection accounts. I disputed this account with the CRA and it came back as verified. I filed with the CFPB and they still have not responded . I also filed with the BBB and got this response... 

PRA is not a credit reporting agency and does not maintain copies of consumer credit reports.  In order that PRA may fully investigate the credit reporting allegations made in the consumer's complaint and resolve the credit reporting issues presented by the consumer's complaint, we will need a copy of the credit report or reports from Equifax, Experian and/or TransUnion which has the information to which the consumer is referring.  Upon receipt of the report or reports, we will review all relevant information, including the information provided by the consumer, we will resolve the complaint and, if appropriate, we will mail our response to the consumer.

Brian Pearson

Disputes Counsel

Office of the General Counsel

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC

140 Corporate Boulevard, Norfolk, VA 23502

should i continue to fight or give up? i hate these collection agencies! 

2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fighting with Portfolio Recovery Associates

I would agree with PRA that the issue cannot be resolved without viewing exactly what is being reported.

If they have reported, they most likely reported as a debt collector, and thus the formatting of the credit report may be causing confusion rather than their actual reporting being improper or inaccurate.

I woud send them a copy of the portion of your credit report that shows what you consider to be inaccurate.

In a similar regard, the direct dispute rules at 16 CFR 660.4 explicityly advise consumers to include a copy of the relevant portion of their credit report to provide the furnisher evidence of exactly what is being disputed as inaccurate.  The same would logically apply to a BBB complaint.

I would send them what they have reasoanbly requested.

Message 2 of 3
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Fighting with Portfolio Recovery Associates

Continue to fight. Call PRA, tell them you have complaint with CFPB. Do some research on recent law suits CFPB and PRA. Add a little fuel to fire. Call the CFPB, ask them what is going on if they do not respond. You can always sue as violation of FCRA. This will definitely get their attention, especially if they do not show up.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.