Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed a complaint with BBB...

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Filed a complaint with BBB...

Just wanted to know what the possible outcome may be of this.. I apologize in advance for the lenghty-ness Smiley Wink

My husband was laid off in 2008, we had our cable with Bright House networks disconnected, we paid the bill, and was told that would be the final bill, but we'd have around $200 equipment charges until the equipment was returned. About 2 weeks later someone comes and picks the equipment up, we tell her we're also moving, do we need to update our address with them for any reason, she says "let me get it just to be safe" we give her our new address, she gives us a receipt showing she picked the equipment up and that's that. When I started rebuilding my husbands credit in 2012 I saw a collection with Credit Protection association on his CR for $251 from a Bright House bill. I thought hmm, maybe they didnt take off the equipment charges, but with it still being within SOL I didnt want to call anyone till I could pay it just in case there was a bill some where in there cause $251 seemed high just for the equipment. 

I called Brigth House last week to let them know and to ask what the $251 was for, he said it was $231 and it was our final bill (the CA reports $251 cause of a $20 collection fee...) I said "Oh, well when we had the service disconnected, we paid a bill that I was told was our final bill" He said the final bill must not of generated yet and the customer service rep must not of realized that when he said we wouldnt have another bill. So I said ok, why didn't I ever get a final bill? Or a letter that it was being turned over to collections, or a letter from a CA? He asked if our address was ____ I said no, we've had several address's since 2008 and also told him when the lady came to collect the equipment she took our new address. He said she obviously didn't update the acct with it. So I said ok, i'll pay this, but I want it deleted, can you do that since it wasn't our fault the account wasn't updated with the correct address and we never got a final bill? He said sure I dont see why that would be a problem. I asked him if I should pay him, or the collection agency, then I figured out in my own head it'd be faster to just pay the CA since they're the ones reporting. I had also called them before calling Bright House and they told me if I pay it, then dispute it, when the CRA's call to see if it's ok to delete the CA will say yes, but I still wanted to go ahead and get someone to agree to delete it 

The CA said once it's paid, to call Bright House and let them know it's paid, and for Bright House to call them (CA) and let them know it's ok to delete so I said ok, and paid it Called Bright House back and told them I paid it and wanted to make sure they will let the CA know it's ok to delete. The cust service rep xfers me to a different dept who I tell the whole story to, moved, address not updated, didnt get final bill blah blah, he says he's never heard of things getting deleted, he's no expert but he does't think that can be done, I say yes it can i've had things deleted before, this was an error on Bright Houses's part, it needs to be removed. He said "I've seen plenty of errors Bright House has made and they've never deleted" So I guess Bright House just reports inaccurate info to CA's all the time!! But he said he'll send an email to the collections department or something or another then I'll get a call from the CA... he made no sense. Anyway, I filed a complaint with the BBB against Bright House. What should I expect to come of this? Should I still dispute it with the CRA's like the CA originally told me to do to get it removed? Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!! (by the way, I know they are accurately reporting, but it's not our fault bright house didnt update our address, if they would of, it would of gotten paid and never sent to a CA, plus one rep at bright house said they'd delete it with no problem)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Re: Filed a complaint with BBB...

hey cwwwats

My advice to you from what I have learned since I have been building my credit and dealing with CA is this...ALWAYS get something in writting BEFORE you make a payment to ANYONE. That way you have proof of what was said. With the collection agencies, the turnover is high since it's mostly based off of comission and agents come in and out of those doors faster than a mcdonalds employee. The letter will hold the COMPANY responsible for anything that was said, even if said employee is no longer a employee at that agency. The state licensing office have safeguards to protect consumers against a he said-she said dispute.

Second of all, I would dispute it with the CRA as paid in full, and cross your fingers and HOPE they actually delete it and not just keep it PAID IN FULL on your report.

Message 2 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Well the OC is who said it shouldn't be a problem to delete it, they're not reporting it but they said they'd give the ok to the CA so the CA would remove. The CA told me if all else fails dispute it and they'd tell the CRAs its I to remove...
Message 3 of 8
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Yes but did you get the name of the employee or get that in writting?

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

Just wanted to know what the possible outcome may be of this.. I apologize in advance for the lenghty-ness Smiley Wink

My husband was laid off in 2008, we had our cable with Bright House networks disconnected, we paid the bill, and was told that would be the final bill, but we'd have around $200 equipment charges until the equipment was returned. About 2 weeks later someone comes and picks the equipment up, we tell her we're also moving, do we need to update our address with them for any reason, she says "let me get it just to be safe" we give her our new address, she gives us a receipt showing she picked the equipment up and that's that. When I started rebuilding my husbands credit in 2012 I saw a collection with Credit Protection association on his CR for $251 from a Bright House bill. I thought hmm, maybe they didnt take off the equipment charges, but with it still being within SOL I didnt want to call anyone till I could pay it just in case there was a bill some where in there cause $251 seemed high just for the equipment. 

I called Brigth House last week to let them know and to ask what the $251 was for, he said it was $231 and it was our final bill (the CA reports $251 cause of a $20 collection fee...) I said "Oh, well when we had the service disconnected, we paid a bill that I was told was our final bill" He said the final bill must not of generated yet and the customer service rep must not of realized that when he said we wouldnt have another bill. So I said ok, why didn't I ever get a final bill? Or a letter that it was being turned over to collections, or a letter from a CA? He asked if our address was ____ I said no, we've had several address's since 2008 and also told him when the lady came to collect the equipment she took our new address. He said she obviously didn't update the acct with it. So I said ok, i'll pay this, but I want it deleted, can you do that since it wasn't our fault the account wasn't updated with the correct address and we never got a final bill? He said sure I dont see why that would be a problem. I asked him if I should pay him, or the collection agency, then I figured out in my own head it'd be faster to just pay the CA since they're the ones reporting. I had also called them before calling Bright House and they told me if I pay it, then dispute it, when the CRA's call to see if it's ok to delete the CA will say yes, but I still wanted to go ahead and get someone to agree to delete it 

The CA said once it's paid, to call Bright House and let them know it's paid, and for Bright House to call them (CA) and let them know it's ok to delete so I said ok, and paid it Called Bright House back and told them I paid it and wanted to make sure they will let the CA know it's ok to delete. The cust service rep xfers me to a different dept who I tell the whole story to, moved, address not updated, didnt get final bill blah blah, he says he's never heard of things getting deleted, he's no expert but he does't think that can be done, I say yes it can i've had things deleted before, this was an error on Bright Houses's part, it needs to be removed. He said "I've seen plenty of errors Bright House has made and they've never deleted" So I guess Bright House just reports inaccurate info to CA's all the time!! But he said he'll send an email to the collections department or something or another then I'll get a call from the CA... he made no sense. Anyway, I filed a complaint with the BBB against Bright House. What should I expect to come of this? Should I still dispute it with the CRA's like the CA originally told me to do to get it removed? Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!! (by the way, I know they are accurately reporting, but it's not our fault bright house didnt update our address, if they would of, it would of gotten paid and never sent to a CA, plus one rep at bright house said they'd delete it with no problem)

He straight up lied to you on that part. CRA's do not call CA's. They use e-oscar which is an automated system. 

Message 5 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:
Well the OC is who said it shouldn't be a problem to delete it, they're not reporting it but they said they'd give the ok to the CA so the CA would remove. The CA told me if all else fails dispute it and they'd tell the CRAs its I to remove...

The OC is not reporting, they can't tell the CA to delete. It's up to the CA to do that if they wish.

Message 6 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

I know they don't call, but maybe she didnt think I would know how it works when you dispute something and just "call" cause it was easier to say then what the CRAs actually do when something is disputed lol
Message 7 of 8
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

*said "call"
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.