Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed only judgements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed only judgements

There is a judgement appearing on my EQ report, but the judgement was "filed only". I am no longer liable for paying the judgement because i filed bankruptcy in enough time. The original amount i owed to the creditor which was reporting "included in bankruptcy" has fallen off already, however the judgement still remains. i don't know when it will fall off as i am not sure how long judgements stay on your report, but my question is can i have this judgement removed through a dispute? it was only filed but it is reporting as a satisfied judgement on my report. If i have it removed will i see a jump in my fico?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Filed only judgements

@Anonymous wrote:

i don't know when it will fall off as i am not sure how long judgements stay on your report,Judgments stay on CR for 7yrs from filed.

but my question is can i have this judgement removed through a dispute?  Whats the reason for the dispute?

If i have it removed will i see a jump in my fico? Recent judgments will see a score jump.Older ones not so much.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a judgement appearing on my EQ report, but the judgement was "filed only". I am no longer liable for paying the judgement because i filed bankruptcy in enough time. The original amount i owed to the creditor which was reporting "included in bankruptcy" has fallen off already, however the judgement still remains. i don't know when it will fall off as i am not sure how long judgements stay on your report, but my question is can i have this judgement removed through a dispute? it was only filed but it is reporting as a satisfied judgement on my report. If i have it removed will i see a jump in my fico?

Was the judgment entered prior to or subsequent to filing BK?

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

O6 raises the pivotal issue.

A judgment is an order issued ONLY by a court after completion of civil litigation (trial).

No creditor can issue a judgment.  They can only file a request for court consideration of their seeking of a judgment.

"Filing" means nothing.  You must be notified by service, and have your day in court to oppose.  That has no less weight that the due process provisions of the U.S. Constitution.  If you never went to court, you dont have a "judgement."

(Unless a judgment on this debt was specifically decreed in your BK order... was it covered in your BK?)

If it is reported in your CR as a "satisfied judgment," then it will remain under FCRA 605(a)(3) for 7 years from the date that the judgment was ENTERED.

Date of "satisfaction (payment) has nothing to do with its requried drop-off after 7 years from date of court judgment.

If you dispute that a "judgment"  entered in your credit file is not a legal judgment, your recourse is to file a dispute under FCRA 611(a((1) with each reporting CRA, and request that they investigate this reporting, and report their results back to you within 30-days.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.