cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a Fraud report. CA removed TL from CR but OC is refuses without Fraud Investigation.

tag
BostonGirlNLA
Established Member

Filing a Fraud report. CA removed TL from CR but OC is refuses without Fraud Investigation.

I need to file a Fraud Report for a CC that was not mine. I will file the FTC Fraud report and I know I have to go to my local police station and file a fraud report there and sign the FTC Fraud report in the Police Officer's presence.  The OC is being very difficult...I am not sure what to do to have it removed.  

Can anyone tell me what happens AFTER I file the Fraud report?

• Is my old roomie going to be arrested? (I do not know if it was her or ex BF or a stranger that did this)
  • Will there be a freeze placed on all of my CR's?
  • Is there any way this can affect me negatively?

I am very confused with what will happen AFTER I file.

Additional information:

• I pulled my CR on 2/2/13 and saw a HSBC Orchard Bank Card opened and charged off in 2008.  I called the OC and they told me they had sold it off to a CA and I needed to deal with them. 
  • After a lengthy time of negotiation with the CA they removed it from my CR
  • The OC refused to remove it and have requested that I file Fraud Reports
  • The OC is very clear that even though they have SOLD the account to the CA and the CA has removed in order for them (the OC to remove) they will have to have their own Fraud Investigation but they already have said that for the following reasons they do not think they will remove it:
      • A. Sent to an address that I lived at
      • B. Utilized for awhile
      • C. Signatures seem to match my own 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Filing a Fraud report. CA removed TL from CR but OC is refuses without Fraud Investigation.

Webhopper has some pretty extensive info here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

I couldn't say if your roomie would be arrested or not. Does that matter?
Wouldn't you want a freeze? What's to stop someone from doing this again?

Is it negative to have information about a card you never opened blocked from your credit report?

If I were you, I'd report it and after that it's out of your hands.

Message 2 of 9
BostonGirlNLA
Established Member

Re: Filing a Fraud report. CA removed TL from CR but OC is refuses without Fraud Investigation.

If it wasn't my roommate I would be horrified if she was harrased, arrested or anything of that nature....why on earth would I not be?

What does a freeze on my accounts mean?  Esp when I am painstakingly trying to rebuild my credit?

Message 3 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

A freeze means no one can pull your credit in an attempt to get a loan without your permission. It doesn't stop collection agencies, but it at least means that no one can try to obtain credit in your name without you knowing about it.

I have to say, I'm kind of amazed at your concerns. Someone committed a fraud, and you're not sure if you should report it....but the other choice is to live with this on your credit report and accept the consequences. You can't do one without the other.  You're not responsible for investigating this.

I have to ask - are you 100% sure that this is not your debt? Because I had a situation in my past where a friend reported an identity theft as a means to removing some information from her report that was, in fact, hers. Her original conversation with the police department was very similar to what you've written here - she was reluctant to report, didn't want to get anyone in trouble, just wanted it off her report, etc. It did not end well for her when the truth came out.

Message 4 of 9
BostonGirlNLA
Established Member

Yes

I am sure it is not my debt

I spent many weeks proving that to the CA.  You guys are unreal.

I was homeless in Los ANgeles and my ex roommie took me in.  When an abusive BF was in pursuit.  I do not want to repay her by bringing her any harm when I have already confronted her and she has sworn she had no part in the debt.  I was clear to state that I did not know if it was ex roomie, ex bf I have NO IDEA...but why on earth would I want to bring undue durress to anyone.  

I have been extremely compliant with the CA.  It is the OC who is very threatening in all of their dialogue why would I want ANYone to participate in that....

wow...just wow.

Message 5 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

File the fraud report and let the police do their jobs. It is out of your hands. You can place a freeze, but it is sort of a pain. Make certain u save the auth code as u will need it to release freeze.

Was someone making payments on this account? Where were statements mailed to?
Message 6 of 9
BostonGirlNLA
Established Member

The statements were mailed to a different state to an address that I had not lived at for 11 years.  IT took me a good month, paycheck stubs, tax returns, old utility bills to prove to the Collection Agency that I lived in CA.  

The original card was applied for and sent to an address that I lived at in CA but then all paperwork was changed to be sent to MA and I had not lived in MA since 2001.  So all bills went to old address in MA and then all collection notices were sent to MA as well.  As per my credit report acct was only open 4 months.

This was not the only fraudulent account on my report.  I have been successful clearing up all the fraudulent TL's from my CR except for this one from HSBC.

Message 7 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

YIKES, good luck to you w/HSBC.   Get that report filled out asap.  I wish you well in getting this taken care of and I understand your frustration.  Somehow, a bk7 ended upon my dh's TU...and he NEVER filed BK7....we lost a house because of it.  Frustrating is an understatement.

Message 8 of 9
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@BostonGirlNLA wrote:

The statements were mailed to a different state to an address that I had not lived at for 11 years.  IT took me a good month, paycheck stubs, tax returns, old utility bills to prove to the Collection Agency that I lived in CA.  

The original card was applied for and sent to an address that I lived at in CA but then all paperwork was changed to be sent to MA and I had not lived in MA since 2001.  So all bills went to old address in MA and then all collection notices were sent to MA as well.  As per my credit report acct was only open 4 months.

This was not the only fraudulent account on my report.  I have been successful clearing up all the fraudulent TL's from my CR except for this one from HSBC.

Look, nothing I've said was intended as any kind of personal slight. I don't know you, nor do I know your roomie. These boards are full of stories of people who have had loved ones harm their credit, and have had to make many of the same kinds of decisions. It is possible to have someone you love do something wrong. You said yourself you don't know if it was her, and I totally understand that you are hoping it wasn't. I hope so too - she sounds like a nice person. But there is a legal process that one is supposed to follow, and if you don't want to follow it then there's not much else to say.

How did you get fraudulent TL's removed without a police report? I would be sincerely looking at a freeze, if my reports showed multiple accounts in my name that I had no idea were there.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.