Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing old taxes...suggestions wanted.

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Filing old taxes...suggestions wanted.

I need to file my state taxes for '09.  It's a simple return and I have my W-2's.  All years prior and since were filed and on time, no issues.  During the '09 season I used TurboTax and did the Fed and never went back and did the state.

Any suggestions are welcome. 

I called my regular tax preparer and they want $75-125 to file it for me.  If I can, I'd like to avoid that.  The online do it yourself thing was overwhelming and I don't think I want to risk it.  I had thought I could file past years online with TurboTax but I guess you can't?  Or maybe I just couldn't find the right page.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Filing old taxes...suggestions wanted.

You may need to go to a tax professional.  There is a limit to the time you can go back and file a return.

Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Pay the fee and let a tax professional do it for you. Alternatively, you can go to your local IRS office and they will help you do it. I have done both and its no big deal.

Message 3 of 6
IWOL
Established Contributor

I had a similar situation last year with my 2008 return and I filed using www.freetaxusa.com

You can file any past years on there with their online software. If you have a simple return with just W-2 you should be able to file on their without too much trouble using their "interview" I wouldn't waste money using a tax preparer unless you have complicated deductions like a schedule c etc.

You cant file past returns electronically, so you'll have to print it out and mail the return. If you paid al the taxes you owed via your w-2 I don't believe you will owe any penalty but you will have a "failure to file penalty".

On their homepage their is a button that says "prior year products" to get to past years. There are probably others that offer past year filings but I found them to be reallly easy to use. Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
BrickTime
Established Member

About two years ago, I filed tax returns for about four previous years. I used freetaxusa website to print out the forms and send everything in. I didn't owe any money (back taxes), so I got full returns direct deposited (about 11,000). It took about two months, but no issues with IRS, not failure to file penalty. I didn't hire or pay anyone. I just did it myself.
Chase Southwest Airlines Signature Visa 18k, Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards 15.5k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 8.5k, American Express PR Gold- NPSL, American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 8k, Home Depot 7k, Capital One Rewards 3.75k, Wells Fargo PLOC 10k. all 3 scores 735-740.
Message 5 of 6
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I appreciate all this help everyone! 

It is a simple return.  I will check into that site.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.