cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling Disputes with Equifax- kills FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filling Disputes with Equifax- kills FICO?

Hi All,

After filing disputes with Equifax for listing refinanced student loans as still in collections, my score dropped nearly 60 points. Stunned, I sent in a new dispute, as they had simply added a note to the "in collections" as being paid-off. The next round of disputes lowered my score even more as Equifax listed the closed, paid accounts as currently reporting as in collections in December 2012! I was livid, because I had sent them 2 faxes from the US Dept of Education certifying that the loans were paid, were not in collections and that I was paying as agreed. Every time I call Equifax the rep told me that they would "start an investigation." When I asked her how a zero balance, paid off account could be listed 120 days late in 2012 when it was paid in 2010 she repeated that "they would have to launch an investigation."  I have had a freeze on my equifax and transunion- I'm afraid to apply for credit as I know Equifax will drag down my FICO. Experian has corrected most of my info and lists me currently a 686, but Equifax dropped me to a 532 after the first dispute. Are there any on what to do? I'm a single mom and I don't have wads of cash for a credit repair service, etc. I feel like the letters are making things worse. I don't have any other baddies on my account, on time payments for 2 years, but only one credit card. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Filling Disputes with Equifax- kills FICO?

About the only thing you can do is hound them. Have you tried a BBB complaint? That will get their attention.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 4
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Welcome to myFICO!

I experienced a drop in score when I disputed a collection but apparently it just updated my lates as it hadn't been before which caused me to be affected by the change. In this case, it sounds like the CRA isn't paying any attention to the data. Verify the information is 100% accurate with the Dept. of Ed and then go after Equifax as best you can in regards to this specific account.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Be careful with EQ.  I ended up having to file BBB complaint against them for refusing to delete a collection that I had letter from OC saying it was reported incorrectly.  Thing would pop-off report and the resurface multiple times.  Finally after 2 months and getting BBB involved I got it completely removed.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.