Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Have FICO Scores!

tag
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally Have FICO Scores!

@WayUpto850 wrote:

I recently heard that Credit Agencies are being discouraged from placing medical bills on Credit Reports - more time is allowed before a medical bill debt can be placed on your credit file and once you pay it, the debt is immediately removed from your credit file.  Below are some links to information:

2017 Changes to Medical Bill Reporting:

https://www.supermoney.com/2017/02/medical-bills-credit-report/

2016 changes to Medical Bill reporting:

https://www.clearpoint.org/blog/how-credit-reporting-for-unpaid-medical-bills-is-changing/

Best Wishes!

"Not long ago, FICO introduced a new scoring model, FICO® Score 9, that included significant changes to the way medical debt is factored into calculations. Now, when you pay your medical bill in full, it won’t show up on your credit report at all. So paying your medical bill–even after it’s sent to collections–ensures it won’t be included on your credit report, according to FICO. They explain:"

I don't think this is true.  I think the author of the article doesn't understand the difference between a CRA and FICO

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 21 of 27
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@WayUpto850 wrote:

ITA with rmduhon:  SOL is 4 years - so creditor or collection agencies cannot sue you after that date has past. And after 7 years, the debt will automatically fall off your credit report. So if you call the Credit Bureau 2-3 months before the date the debt will automatically fall off report and request an "Early Exclusion",  Credit Bureau staff may remove the debt early. Some posters have stated if the staff will not do it, ask for a supervisor.

Best wishes!

Actually they can and it would be up to the individual being served to use the SOL as a defense to the suit.

Message 22 of 27
WayUpto850
New Contributor

gdale6: Thx for the reminder - yes collection agencies can file the lawsuit - however, you can show the judge the debt is past the SOL.

"I commit to being grateful for all that I now have in my life."

Beginning Apr 2017 FICO 575
Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I woke up this morning happy to pull my CCT report.  I was shocked to find Experian dropped my Public Records!  They are released, and I didn't request they be removed.  They did it on their own.  Equifax is refusing to remove them though. 

Sadly it did not change my FICO score at all.  742 TU - no PR, no collections.  651- Equifax -2 PR (released/paid)  648- Experian No PR, 2 old medical collections.

So later this month when my new cap1 appears on my CR, and my installment loan reports, I will expect a score increase on the lower 2 FICO scores.  With no score changes,  I learned the PR's and Collections are not affecting my score.  It is just the thin file.  None of it explains why TU score is so much higher than the other 2 though. 

Message 24 of 27
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

The PR and collections are affecting your scores. The reason your scores didn't change when the PR was removed is because you still have collections on it. When the last collection/derogatory item is removed is when you see the score boost.
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Rmduhon.  So it's a cumulative thing, each item isn't worth their own set of points?  One derrogatory is as bad as 5?

On another note, I found out why Experian deleted the PR's.  I tried submitting an online dispute.  I got the message saying they were not able to do it online (problem with verifying my identity), and to mail the dispute.  I never mailed the dispute, but I received a response to my dispute in the mail yesterday.  So apparently the online dispute still went through even though I did not know it.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

update & recap.
March 12, 2017
No FICO scores

4/9/17 Got added as AU on a 10 yr old cc with 11,200 limit (4800 balance)

4/25/17
Experian 648 2-PR & 2-Collections
TU 742 no negative items
EQ 651 2-PR

Since 4/25: Got a credit builder Cap1 QS1 ($300 limit)
Opened Self lender
paid off AU CC to a bal of $626.00 out of 11,200 limit.

5/23/17
Experian 655 up 7 pts. Shows correct cc balances. 2 collections remain. 2 PR deleted. Self lender not reported yet.

TU 733 down 9pts. AU account balance is not yet updated. No neg. Marks. Self lender not reporting yet

EQ. 678up 27 pts (yay. It was my worst score) AU accoubt balance not updated yet. 2-PR's marked released. Self lender not reporting yet.

Restlessly gardening, waiting on prime time to apply for Discover It Cashback Rewards Card.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.