Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally broke 710 after BK7

tag
cem13
Established Contributor

Finally broke 710 after BK7

I posted my story in this section and the other sections but I want to share another recent activity in my re-build.  I finally broke 710 today.  I was range bound for the last 2 years.  I had a nice bump when I was re-bucketed after the 2 years post BK7 mark.  However, this current bucket (BK7 2yrs to 10 yrs) has been a pain to get my scores up.  My new Mortgage reported to EX today and I gained a few points to finally break 710.

I do NOT need these extra points.  I have a very good interest rate for my car, Mortgage and credit cards so I am almost optimized.  However, just as pizza1 says "I just cannot help myself".  Now that I have a complete understanding of how FICO uses the CRA's data to generate a score, I want the best score possible and more credit.

Short synopsis:  

up to 2009: living a happy, full-filling and successful life

2009:  Lost high paying job

2010: Re-employed at 60% of previous wages

JAN 2011: Filed BK7

JUN2011: D/C BK7

JUL2011: Read Soul Master's Wonderful Novel (BK7 to 700 Ultimate Guide)

APR2013: Broke 700 across all 3 CRA (22 months post BK7 discharge)

JUL2013: Followed Credit Addict's Wonderful Novel (Navy Federal's Ultimate Guide).  First major CL to $25K.

MAR2015: Did a short sale of my house back to myself.  I did not re-affirm and owed $120K.  Offered a settlement for $80K and they accepted.  Closed 31MAR15

APR2015:  Followed Nixon, Pizza1, Credit Addict among others on a major App Spree.  I now have over $100K in unsecured credit from 12 apps and 7 approvals.

MAY2015: Mortgage reported to EX.  Score jumped to 712.

So with the help of many people on this Board, I went from BK7 (~550 FICO) to 712 in less than 4 years post discharge.  I have knocked off $40K from my home and I will have it paid off in 10 years (maybe earlier), my 401K was not impacted ($500,000) so I will be able to retire at 54 or 55.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally broke 710 after BK7

Grats!

Could you list the full title of the books/guides you found useful and possibly where one could get a copy?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I find this book---BK7 to 700 Ultimate Guide?

Message 3 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

They aren't books. They are long well read threads. The first one is in the Bankruptcy section of this forum:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

The second one is most likely in the cc section. Try the search button on the upper right corner Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Chilli
Established Contributor

@cem13 wrote:

I posted my story in this section and the other sections but I want to share another recent activity in my re-build.  I finally broke 710 today.  I was range bound for the last 2 years.  I had a nice bump when I was re-bucketed after the 2 years post BK7 mark.  However, this current bucket (BK7 2yrs to 10 yrs) has been a pain to get my scores up.  My new Mortgage reported to EX today and I gained a few points to finally break 710.

I do NOT need these extra points.  I have a very good interest rate for my car, Mortgage and credit cards so I am almost optimized.  However, just as pizza1 says "I just cannot help myself".  Now that I have a complete understanding of how FICO uses the CRA's data to generate a score, I want the best score possible and more credit.

Short synopsis:  

JUL2013: Followed Credit Addict's Wonderful Novel (Navy Federal's Ultimate Guide).  First major CL to $25K.

MAR2015: Did a short sale of my house back to myself.  I did not re-affirm and owed $120K.  Offered a settlement for $80K and they accepted.  Closed 31MAR15

APR2015:  Followed Nixon, Pizza1, Credit Addict among others on a major App Spree.  I now have over $100K in unsecured credit from 12 apps and 7 approvals.

So with the help of many people on this Board, I went from BK7 (~550 FICO) to 712 in less than 4 years post discharge.  I have knocked off $40K from my home and I will have it paid off in 10 years (maybe earlier), my 401K was not impacted ($500,000) so I will be able to retire at 54 or 55.

-----------------------------------------------

Wow! This sounds like my story with the exception of a short sale, mortgage and I did a chapter 13 instead of a 7 but I still used soul masters plan and tailored it to my needs. Yes, along with the help of credit addict, Pizza1, NIxion, Scupra and others, I have well over 130K in avail credit within 2 yrs post. To my amazement, I've watch my scores soar to the 700 range as well.

Isn't it a good feeling? My credit is better now after BK then before...

i have more knowledge about how to play the game which I find is a lot of fun.

CONGRATS TO YOU!

Message 5 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Grats OP...

Just make sure you don't listen to the advice of the EX rep that told you IIB accounts no longer affect your FICO score after 2 years.  You were preaching it last week over in the BK forums and never returned when like 5 of us questioned you on it...

... IIB accounts affect your score the entire time they are on your report.  The impact lessens as the derog ages but don't think for a minute you filed BK7 and have IIB accounts on your CR for 2 years and they stay on there for free for another 5 years.

Doesn't work that way.   If it did people wouldn't see score increases when derogs fall off.

Have a nice day.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 15
Chilli
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Grats OP...

Just make sure you don't listen to the advice of the EX rep that told you IIB accounts no longer affect your FICO score after 2 years.  You were preaching it last week over in the BK forums and never returned when like 5 of us questioned you on it...

... IIB accounts affect your score the entire time they are on your report.  The impact lessens as the derog ages but don't think for a minute you filed BK7 and have IIB accounts on your CR for 2 years and they stay on there for free for another 5 years.

Doesn't work that way.   If it did people wouldn't see score increases when derogs fall off.

Have a nice day.  Smiley Wink

+1

Message 7 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@cem13 wrote:

Short synopsis:  

What is your FICO source discussing those particular time periods for rebucketing?

Where does FICO talk about 2 years being some kind of magical point in time for BK to begin having less impact?

Just curious.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you explain the 2 year afet bk discharge uptick (rebucketing) please-- I will hit 2 years net month and hope this is true

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking forward to the answers also as I am keen to learn new things..

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.