cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally brought myself to close my CreditOne Card.

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally brought myself to close my CreditOne Card.

@Anonymous wrote:

Be on the lookout for trailing interest charges on the $8.xx fee. Minimum finance charge for Credit One is $1. Since there was zero balance other than the fee, which you paid right away upon closing, it may be a non issue, but something to double-check after statement cut before assuming all is well.

Very important...  In fact, I would check on it every month for the next 2 months.  Orchard Bank did that to me years ago.  I paid the account in full right at the end of a statement cycle.  The following month, I got another statement with a late fee and another monthly fee, as well as interest on both.

Luckily, the CSR was nice and zeroed it all out for me.

Always gotta watch like a hawk when dealing with the sub-sub prime cards!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly. I paid off hubbys Credit One and a $4 interest charge showed up. That has been paid now and I'm keeping an eye on it until it gets canceled around July.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed my Credit One accounts on 11/20 after taking the 3 months with no fees offer.

I had two accounts and closed both.  Thanks for not mentioning 'slow learner', I was desperate to open new accounts during first stages of rebuilding.

Both showed zero for two months.

Both accounts now show 'closed at consumer request' and 'pays as agreed' on my CRs with zero balance.

I can still get in on the website and verify the zero balance.  It doesnt show anything about being closed, I think they are hoping I will try to use them again.

I plan to check every other week for awhile.

Very happy I closed out my Credit One accounts.  Feels very nice.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should close mine too. Next time I should read everything before activating a card. Just don't want to close cuz I just paid the 75 bucks fee. I paid balance of 280 off before statement and they still charged me 2.78 finance charge and now I'm trying to pay that online it won't let me 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I should close mine too. Next time I should read everything before activating a card. Just don't want to close cuz I just paid the 75 bucks fee. I paid balance of 280 off before statement and they still charged me 2.78 finance charge and now I'm trying to pay that online it won't let me 

I always pushed the payments from my bank's online billpay.

Maybe because I had an account with Credit One since 3/2013 and they were used to me, but I had two day payments and they seemed to post right away.

There is no grace period with them, as soon as a transaction posts, you pay interest.

hth

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed my Credit One card not too long ago. I however got away with the monthly payment fee by calling in and complaining until the representative got annoyed with me and waived the fee. They always said it's a "one time" fee waiver. I did it for 8 months lol. I didn't trust using my bank info and I paid my bill with my debit card over the phone. I replaced my card with a Barclay Ring card :-)
Message 16 of 19
lctachell
Valued Member

I made sure I closed my account before the fees came

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I always pushed the payments from my bank's online billpay.

Maybe because I had an account with Credit One since 3/2013 and they were used to me, but I had two day payments and they seemed to post right away.

There is no grace period with them, as soon as a transaction posts, you pay interest.

hth

Yea know that now. Account is fully paid balance is zero available credit line is 1500 il close the account maybe 10 months later when I'm about to be charge for fees again. It did report on my credit as balance of 2 dollar lol

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you! I litteraly hate that card and regret getting it! I cannot wait until May 2016 (1 month shy of a year) to close my account. I have been a faithful customer with them and never missed any payments... even making multiple payments in a month.. I asked them for a increase and was denied because I have not had the card a full year.. having a measly $600 credit limit. Humph. I wish I could close it now.. but I've already paid the $75 annual fee so might as well keep it until then. I for surely won't miss this card. Good luck.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.