cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally done with Consumer Portfolio Services.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally done with Consumer Portfolio Services.

In late 2012 i had to purchase a new car and my only finance option was Consumer Portfolio Services.  Of course I had a very high interest rate and a large payment to go along with it., From then until the beginning of this month they have called at least once a week.  Sometimes 4 times a day.  They didn't care if I was at work even though I told them i couldn't receive calls while I was at work. They even called my office and had my boss tell me I had an emergency phone call.  I did have one late payment but that is all.  Every month they would call about a week before my due date and tell me I had to give a postdated check for that months payment.  Several times they threatened to repossess if i didn't give them the next 3 or so months payments in postdated check. I found out that they were sued by the FTC for doing this exact thing to allot of their customers.

Almost a year ago I was fortunate enough to marry the most wonderful woman I have ever met.  We had discussed this loan for a while and she was getting tired of the constant phone calls.  I was about $8000 upside down on the car so it was difficult to trade in.  Earlier this month we started looking again and found a car that was used as a demo.  With the discount for being a demo and the factory incentives they were able to make the deal work.  My wife has excellent credit, 845 when she last checked.  Mine on the other hand is a bit lower than that.   We were able to get a loan under both of our names with an interest rate of 3.5%.  I went from 22% to 3.5%!!  

I know this had noting to do with anything i did but I am happy as ever to be done with CPS!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Finally done with Consumer Portfolio Services.

Congrats to you!!!!  Good luck buddy....

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Treat her well, the best way is to gain a score higher than hers and show her you care about good credit.

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done, congrats Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This story shows the value of good credit.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.