Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got Cap One pre-qual offer

tag
crrredit
Established Contributor

Finally got Cap One pre-qual offer

I have a Cap One secured card, and a Quicksilver One. I've had the secured for about 10 months now, and the QS1 for almost 3 months. In all this time, I've never received a positive result on their Cap One pre-qual site. I figured now I was stuck because I had two rebuild cards, and that's their limit. I also just moved a few weeks ago, so my new address probably isn't linked to an offer, and I bought some furniture at Overstock, who reported the balance before a statement cut, thereby adding a 90% maxed out card and a second balance to my report, so my scores have taken a slight downturn. So there's no way Cap One will offer me a card right now, right?

Wrong! According to their pre-qual site, I qualify for a regular Quicksilver as well as a Venture card! Go figure. I also got my first pre-qual mail offer from a major bank--Citi. I plan on getting back to one card reporting a <10% balance before pulling the trigger on any of these, but it's a nice turn of events. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally got Cap One pre-qual offer

Their prequal is by no means 100% accurate on the negative side. Its pretty spot on if it says yes, but you will often be approved anyway if it does not give you a result.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And this is why I tell people if you are approved for an unsecured Platinum then apply for the second card, no matter what the prequal tells you.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do the Venture - its a guaranteed 3K or 5k starting limit depending on which version you get.

Message 4 of 10
crrredit
Established Contributor

Norman-- Yeah, I ignored the fact that I didn't get any pre-quals before, and apped for the regular Quicksilver. I got denied, so I immediately apped for the Quicksilver One. Ended up with one pull on each CRA, and did get the Quicksilver One. Will probably take your advice and go for the Venture. Going to pay off this Overstock card first, because I'm afraid it got maxed out between the time I made this qualified list and now. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! You give me hope for my credit future. I have a secured platinum and an unsecured platinum, soI have the max 2 rebuilder cardscards too
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Awesome! You give me hope for my credit future. I have a secured platinum and an unsecured platinum, soI have the max 2 rebuilder cardscards too

If you've already qualified for the Platinum unsecured, then its time to close the secured card and app for the QS1.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first statement was the 28th of September for my unsecured. I thought that would be too soon?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My first statement was the 28th of September for my unsecured. I thought that would be too soon?

Nope.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obvs nothing is written in stone or 100% But I find cap 1 site pretty accurate! When I finally got an unsecured pre qual I didn't apply right away, researched it for an hour or so redid the pre-qual and bit the bullet and apped and was approved. Waited a few days and still got pre-qualified and approved for another card. Granted they are building cards but I'm not out of the 500s yet and a few weeks prior all I prequalified was for a secured platinum. Good luck! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.