Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Bottom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Financial Bottom

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello NormanFH. Unfortunately, I cannot file for BK until end of 2019. I am scared that now I am working, they will garnish my wages via court order and I cannot do anything about it. I don't have enough money for an attorney right now and cannot attend the trial for these lawsuits as my job is in a different state than I am being sued in. It is a real mess. Not sure how to proceed.

When was your BK discharged and what type was it?

Garnishment from an out of state suit is not easy to accomplish unless the employer is based in that state.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BK was filed as Chapter 7 in IL (2009), discharged in October 2009.

My employeer is only located in CA, but now that I am based in CA, I am guessing they will start suing me here too. I only got sued by two firms, but I am guessing others won't let go.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will file in CA but it will stop lawsuits everywhere, which may be interesting since you filed in IL before. Talk with a BK lawyer and let us know what he/she says. This will be interesting since it crosses state lines. Most likely tho same regulations will apply.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My BK was filed as Chapter 7 in IL (2009), discharged in October 2009.

My employeer is only located in CA, but now that I am based in CA, I am guessing they will start suing me here too. I only got sued by two firms, but I am guessing others won't let go.

The BK7 will remain on your reports for 10 years, but you can file BK7 again after 8 years, or a BK13 after 4 years. See here

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank everyone again for all the input. Feeling much better knowing I got some options out of this and once this is all over, I am not getting a single credit line ever again.

I know that only perhaps a BK attorney can answer this but...do you think I should wait until 2019 when I can file Chapter 7 or do Chapter 13 now. I have not had any judgements assigned to me just yet and I am working. My old Bk attorney confirmed that I can file for Chapter 7 again in October of 2009 (not sure why that date, maybe it is like that in IL?).

Also, I am not planning on it, but it will be nearly impossible to get credit after second BK correct? Reason I ask, I am hoping to own a home one day or at least get a decent job and not be turned down due to my credit or rent like I have been lately Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure why your attorney would say that. BK is federal law, so IL state law simply does not come into play. The statutes clearly state 8 years from one BK7 to the next. Maybe he just got the years mixed up?

The thing about not getting a credit line again, well, thats a good thought in some ways, but if home ownership is your goal, you simply cannot build a decent credit score without at least ONE revolving account. The thing to keep in mind though, is that the account need not be a large credit line at all. You could simple get a $300 limit Cap One "starter" card, and never increase its limit. You could very well build into the 700's with three such cards with a BK on your files.

If you filed in Oct of next year, you could be "rebuilt" to a 700 score in about 18-24 months. At that point the first BK would be gone from your reports. Plenty of people have been able to purchase a home with a BK but it usually needs to be 2 years in the past.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that is wonderful, thank you again for all your input and help. I always thought that second BK is death sentence in terms of credit.

I will just have 1 card and never put myself in this situation again, because if you get sick, everything falls.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.