cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Freedom: A Rebuilding Story (In the Works!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Financial Freedom: A Rebuilding Story (In the Works!)

Where to even start? Oh--hey; maybe when I was young and uninformed about financial responsibility and the repurcussions of being financially irresponsible. Sounds good to me. Oh, and if you're here to judge..don't. This is my story, and though it may be dark and entirely self-inflicted, it's still mine and it's what has shaped me into who I am today. -_-

When I was 18 years old (in 2004) I came into some money, more than someone my age should have ever had access to without first experiencing financial independence. I was flying high, put 8K down on a brand new 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged (I loved that car!), had a Capital One card (my first cc!) and a Lane Bryant card (I love clothes!) and was blessed with a great paying job at the school I was attending. I lived life in the fast lane and maxed out both my cards within days. When the money ran out, I knew there would be more the following year, I decided that maybe I should simmer down and go to a "real-4year-dorm-living-sorority-rushing-future-marine-biologist-career-school" so I applied to the college in my hometown and quit my job. I moved my entire life into a small, concrete cell that I forced myself to enjoy for about a year-and-a-half before I had a complete mental breakdown. I hadn't been paying my bills, my vehicle was up for reposession so I traded it in for a new one, and people were literally beating down my door for me to pay them. I started working at Arby's, about 15 hours a week, hoping to subdue the collecters if only for the day before I packed my belongings and dropped out of school and moved back in with my Mom for a few more years.

Fast forward four years, I floated from crappy job to crappy job just trying to hold my head above the water. Fast forward a few more years and in 2011, I was fired from my job as a cook in a bar (I had developed a drinking problem, imagine that. -_-) and really hit rock bottom when my second job (and the apartment I lived in above it!) burnt to the ground in an electrical fire. I didn't have renter's insurance and I lost everything but a handful of clothes and my purse. But to me, I had lost far worse than material posessions, I had lost my will to live. I continued to drink myself silly and let the bills stack up. I changed my cell number every month to outrun the creditors if only for a few precious weeks. In 2013, during a drunken binge at a bar I regularly visited, I met this wonderful guy (who is now my husband and number 1 supporter!) who eventually brought the light back into my life. When he made me realize that I was important too, I knew it was time to face the mayhem I had caused and take care of my obligations.

I started working in a factory as a part inspector for $8 an hour and in less than 2 years I have climbed my way to a production supervisor's assistant position at $12. I am currently in the process of rehabbing my defaulted student loans (Month 7!) and have paid off multiple debts. I am slowly trying to build my credit with a few tradelines that I monitor religiously (it's almost a sickness) while taking care of negative accounts that have obliterated my credit. Together we have 1 personal loan in our name with a 1k balance remaining (for repairs to our vehicle), and our vehicle is in both our names' as well (only 3k left to pay on it!). My credit has slowly been climbing as I've been tackling one problem after the next, the majority of these things have been confronted because of the advice I've read on these forums, and I recently was approved for a Victoria Secret (250CL) and Lane Bryant card (250CL), of which I only care about the latter (lol).

I have always had a negative relationship with money, but I'm finally getting back on track. I have learned the importance of putting your needs before your wants and the financially responsible way of living. Everyday is a struggle and I spend a lot of time analyzing, highlighting, and logging all the letters and emails I send out in an attempt to better my credit. We want to buy a house in the next 5 years and we would eventually like a new vehicle..but I'm taking everything a day at a time. I have seen how hard work pays off (so far!) and I can only imagine what this will all look like next year! Smiley Happy

Yay!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Financial Freedom: A Rebuilding Story (In the Works!)

great story! congrats on your success so far, and welcome to the forums! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, aiyse. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great story, and I commend you for turning things around as well as recognizing, and accepting responsibility for your past mistakes. No one should ever hold that against you, and you will find nothing but support and help in this forum, as you have probably already learned. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Norman! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum

Thank you so much for sharing your life story. After what you have experienced so far it looks you have the most important to achieve your goal. Willpower and patience. All the success and may your wish for a nice home come true in 5 years. With the help of the knowledgeable people here I am sure you can reach your goal Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ig! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, congrats to getting your life in order   Emoticon-Thumbs Up.png

Message 8 of 11
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the forum. A great story thanks for sharing. It takes a big person to recognize their mistakes.
Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are the same age and I keep telling myself at least I'm  taking care of this now instead waiting until I'm older, so tell yourself that too. We are still young and have our whole lives ahead of us. I'm working on repairing mine and my husband's credit after me being sick for two years and losing my job during that time which had a catastrophic impact on both our credit reports. Good luck to you. This site has so much valuable information, so you are in the right place. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.