Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Recovery Services Advice

tag
DanielK
Valued Member

Financial Recovery Services Advice

Quick question:

I opened a Care Credit card a few years ago and my parents co-signed on it. I used the card then paid it off and never touched it again. My parents used the card in the last year and decided to not pay the bill. The account went to collections and my parents are currently paying monthly to pay off the debt to the collection agency. I called and asked to have it deleted from my credit report since it's not my debt and they said no. Am I screwed? I was thinking of doing a GW letter. Any other suggestions? 

Thanks! 

28 year old recent college grad
Equifax started at: 557
Current Equifax: 636
Current Experian: 651
Current Transunion: 656
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Financial Recovery Services Advice

@DanielK wrote:

Quick question:

I opened a Care Credit card a few years ago and my parents co-signed on it. I used the card then paid it off and never touched it again. My parents used the card in the last year and decided to not pay the bill. The account went to collections and my parents are currently paying monthly to pay off the debt to the collection agency. I called and asked to have it deleted from my credit report since it's not my debt and they said no. Am I screwed? I was thinking of doing a GW letter. Any other suggestions? 

Thanks! 

You are the responsible party on the card not your parents and if they used the card without your permission that is CC fraud, there are remedies for that but you may not want to go thru them. GW is going to be your friend in this instance and I would keep tabs on this account to make sure it gets paid monthly. Sorry to hear, good luck.

Message 2 of 3
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Re: Financial Recovery Services Advice

It was your account that your parents co-signed on?

Wouldn't that make it your debt?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.