cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial rebirth: closed collection accounts

tag
w87

Financial rebirth: closed collection accounts

It's been awhile since I posted. I was last here about a repossed vehicle from a buy here pay here . Last year I was able to put down a large down payment and get into a newer vehicle, but life happened shortly after and I lost my job. I picked up a job that just got me by. Thankfully I'm back working but my pay is still low. I've made the decision to move back home and save and pay off my debt. In this time period since losing the good job I had, I went into a depression that made me not look at my credit. I couldn't face my financial situation. I got the car I just got repossed, my credit card closed, and fell behind on student loans. Family has helped me with my student loans, and my income tax refund helped me pay the back balance to get my vehicle back. Today is the first day that I was able to look at my report (via credit karma). A lot of baddies went away which was nice to see, but my score is disastrous (448).

Capital One: still reflects as closed, just paid past due balances to open account back. First payment on July 10th. 

Navient: on time 

Fed Loans: on time 

Open collections 

SW Credit: Comcast bill $78 

Pinnacle Credit Service: old Verizon cell bill $528 

Closed accounts: 

Mid Florida: 02/13 $8,828 (repossed vehicle)

Commenity: $645 (Limited credit card - sad about this!!) 

Carmax $0 balance (should be falling off soon) 

US dept of Education: closed 

National Collegiate: closed 

Now that I'm getting back current with my car payment, I'll be paying the Comcast bill hopefully with a PFD and try to do a settlement with Pinnacle. As far as the closed collections, what should my approach be? Also how can I add new lines of credit when my credit score is so low. Now that I'm moving back home I will have extra money to really get my financial situation together. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Starting Score: 568
Current Score: 568
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RCOH
Regular Contributor

Re: Financial rebirth: closed collection accounts

I would get a FICO score first of all. Credit Karma, Sesame, Wise, etc are Vantage 3 not FICO. There are several places that offer them . Discover gives a free FICO 8 from Experian every 30 days. CreditCheckTotal has a $1 trial for all three FICO 8. 

Once you have a real FICO score plus up to date account information from all three CRA(s) it should be easier for members to guide you. The general response of take care of baddies, work on PFD, GW, etc won't help much until you have a FICO score to advise from.

Starting Score 12/15 (FICO 8) EQ: 488 :-(
7/16 (FICO 8) EX:611 - TU: 579 - EQ 599 --- Goal 660+
Message 2 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

On any of the collections that are open, offer a Pay for Deletion. Start with the lowest totals. Also, on any that are already paid, you can try a goodwill letter for deletion.

As far as building credit, I don't know if Cap1 is still an option at the moment with the collection, but you need to be able to get a secured card or two. There are other options out there for this, if need be.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Why was each collection closed?

Was it based on your having paid the debt, their sale of the debt, or some other unknown reason?

Message 4 of 8
w87

Carmax was paid. The rest I'm unsure of why they are closed.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then I would suggest pursuing the closed collections that remain unpaid, and determine whether the debt collector still has active collection authority.

If they do not, that is basis for deletion of the collection, and additionally may provide the opportunity to contact a new owner and pay before they report......

Message 6 of 8
w87

Thank you. Is this best done by letters or by phone?

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are comfortable with calling a debt collector and careful not to actually admit to the debt, then I would use the phone.

Particularly if you are seeking to catch them before they actually report to a CRA.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.