Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut Line of Credit to Rebuild

tag
gemntheholigram
Valued Member

Fingerhut Line of Credit to Rebuild

i applied online as a small means to rebuild credit- I got a phone call and approved for a small amount (300). I dont really plan on using it per say, but i see that it reports alot so i decided to try it. After some research i found these complaints- has anyone else had a bad experience with Fingerhut:?

http://fingerhut.pissedconsumer.com/hurt-instead-of-helped-rebuild-credit-20110802252905.html

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
finnewbie
Valued Member

Re: Fingerhut Line of Credit to Rebuild

i got this card back in 2009 to help re-build my credit. Currently, it only reports to my Equifax (I think). I started off with a $500 cl and over the past two years, it has increased to $2000. You get small CLI if you pay on time and a little above your minimum payments. Occasionally, I received temporary CLI. But, I would have to purchase items in order to keep the credit. Example, I got a $650 increase last December. I purchased an ipod for $350 and that's the amount I ended up with in the long run. In addition, their items are overpriced. You can get most of them cheaper elsewhere, if you can afford to purchase without credit.

I plan on keeping the account since I'm not charged any fees. When I get something better, I will probably close it.

Message 2 of 4
Datx
Valued Contributor

I dont know about that review. You can buy small items (less than $50) on Finger Hut. I bought a flash light a few months back so they dont close my account for inactivity. As far buying something over your Finger Hut CL and then trying to pay the difference with another credit card, im not sure about. I havent bought anything that expensive, the prices on Finger Hut is not so great anyways. I only applied for credit with them last year because I had no open revolving accounts.

Message 3 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

The only prob I have w/ them is they gave me a credit limit up to 1350 - I never used more than 2-3 hundred at a time.  Right when I was needing major pointage for my mortgage, they took away my CL "because I didn't use it" and knocked it back down to 600. 

Otherwise, no problems and I'm glad I had that account bc it helped tremendously in my rebuilding.

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.