Valued Member

Fingerhut Line of Credit to Rebuild

[ Edited ]

i applied online as a small means to rebuild credit- I got a phone call and approved for a small amount (300). I dont really plan on using it per say, but i see that it reports alot so i decided to try it. After some research i found these complaints- has anyone else had a bad experience with Fingerhut:?

http://fingerhut.pissedconsumer.com/hurt-instead-of-helped-rebuild-credit-20110802252905.html

Established Member

Re: Fingerhut Line of Credit to Rebuild

i got this card back in 2009 to help re-build my credit. Currently, it only reports to my Equifax (I think). I started off with a $500 cl and over the past two years, it has increased to $2000. You get small CLI if you pay on time and a little above your minimum payments. Occasionally, I received temporary CLI. But, I would have to purchase items in order to keep the credit. Example, I got a $650 increase last December. I purchased an ipod for $350 and that's the amount I ended up with in the long run. In addition, their items are overpriced. You can get most of them cheaper elsewhere, if you can afford to purchase without credit.

I plan on keeping the account since I'm not charged any fees. When I get something better, I will probably close it.

Valued Contributor

I dont know about that review. You can buy small items (less than $50) on Finger Hut. I bought a flash light a few months back so they dont close my account for inactivity. As far buying something over your Finger Hut CL and then trying to pay the difference with another credit card, im not sure about. I havent bought anything that expensive, the prices on Finger Hut is not so great anyways. I only applied for credit with them last year because I had no open revolving accounts.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Senior Contributor

The only prob I have w/ them is they gave me a credit limit up to 1350 - I never used more than 2-3 hundred at a time.  Right when I was needing major pointage for my mortgage, they took away my CL "because I didn't use it" and knocked it back down to 600. 

Otherwise, no problems and I'm glad I had that account bc it helped tremendously in my rebuilding.

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.