Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut alternatives?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut alternatives?

Hi all,

So i have one secured cap one card and not being able to get approved for others i also have a fingerhut account. Can anyone recommend fingerhut style credit alternatives that are pretty easy to get and also report to experian,equifax and trans. I was able to get stoneberry but they dont report to anyone.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: Fingerhut alternatives?

Have you tried shopping cart trick for victorias secret or express?  They seem to be the easiest to get.  Store cards but they are good for starting out.

(Add item to cart, go to checkout, fill out shipping info, when its on enter your CC info page thats when youll get the popup, if you get no pop up you werent approved, check top right corner to make sure it didnt block a pop up.)

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking into that now

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have had the two accounts for a few months now, apply for a second, unsecured Cap One card.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The secured cap one card i have only had for a month now. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to wait at least 6 months and then try for an unsecured cap one card. Not ure if they would send me a prequalify offer once i qualify?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't bother to wait that long, or for prequal offers. You get signifigant, immediate score bumps from your first two accounts. The earlier you get your first accounts established the better. You want 3 bank cards minimum. You've already got one bank card so you want to shoot for two more. I would watch your reports and wait for cap one to report your next statement (with LOW carried balance) and then app for the second card.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your credit scores?  For shopping cart trick (SCT) success, being in the 600s with a couple or more open (secured or unsecured) cards will be helpful. Search SCT on forums here to see current list of store cards that can be obtained that way, and to read other's experiences in their quest to get such cards.

While many here will strongly disagree, sub-prime, unsecured Credit One is an option to consider, if you are anxious to get another card right away with minimal upfront investment. While it's lousy compared to Capital One and others, it's far better than the likes of First Premier ($95 to just apply, 36% interest, and requires checking account)...

Credit One deducts $75 annual fee off the top, so one starts with at least $225 available credit. Interest rate is high, but still in the ballpark of many better cards at around 24%. It will help build score - it has for me, and the interest fees have been reasonable for what it is. Key is to pay the first bill in full. Use express pay (~$10 fee) to pay same / next day -or- mail in money order / on-line bank bill pay at least 2+ weeks ahead to ensure timely payment. Credit One begins reporting the second month.

With all that said, a secured card is more economical with less fee surprises. You can have more than one Cap One, but if you want to spread it out a bit, consider OpenSky - it reports as a regular credit card, and is simple to get. That's a better route than getting more store cards.

Message 8 of 14
movinguptheladder
Established Member

Try US Bank secured card, First Progress Secured card, Discover has a secured card (you have to apply for the unsecured card first and its offered as a counter offer), capital one I was offered an unsecured card after a few months w/ the secured card (a new card that is). I'm still waiting to graduate my secured card. SMH! but check this website out. This lady does reviews on secured cards and she breaks down a lot of the information. This forum and her website really helped me get my credit on track. 

Overstock has a secured card too BTW. 

Removed link.

Good Luck with everything!! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Movinguptheladder. Did you mean u are waiting for your capital one to graduate? As far as I know cap1 secured cards do not graduate.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.