Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fingerhut.

I have never used their credit, but I purchased something from there (small furniture item). It was the biggest peice of crap ever and a waste of money IMHO. 

Jenny

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Credit One pre-approval mailing, and subsequent approval last week prompted my rebuilding journey. I then applied for Fingerhut, figuring I'd get Freshstart, and to my amazement, I was approved for $400 regular credit. It's a good store card rebuilder. My scores are in similar ballpark to yours, only slightly higher. Though I have judgements showing and outstanding collections larger than yours, though much is dropping off.

If you have no revolvers and don't have funds to put down on a secured card, Credit One is an unsecured card to consider. It's pricey, but not really that bad when one understands it's a rebuilder, not a prime, longevity card, and the fee structure - key to success with Credit One, and similar sub-prime cards, is paying well above the minimum amount due (double or more; always paying off may not be desirable - occasionally carrying over some balance may be helpful) at least 2 weeks before the due date.

In regards to Fingerhut Freshstart program, do not pay off the entire balance. Pay it off over 4-6 months and you'll likely be upgraded to an unsecured line of credit.

You'll likely get a 50+ point pop with a store card and one, or ideally two, revolvers (secured or unsecured; doesn't matter) in short order from what I've read. That's what I'm hoping for. Seriously considering subscribing to the 3 score myFICO service - the free score places are ok, but their scores are all over the place. Both CreditKarma and CreditSesame show my TransUnion score as 587, but a recent on-line credit denial letter said my TU score was 507. That's a huge difference!

I get the sense my scores are worse than I initially realized, though on the bright side, the lower they are, the quicker they can improve ... it's far easier to go from 500 to 600, or even all the way upto 650, than 700 to 800.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As was suggested, use the card to buy something small and pay it off over 4-6 months so they will graduate you to the regular revolving account.

My understanding is that Fresh Start will report as an installment loan rather than a revolver, but once they graduate you it reports as a revolver.  I may be incorrect here.  Either way it's a good positive tradeline and positive payment history so it's worth while.

Look for free shipping promotions or coupons.  FH's shipping rates are pretty high so if they're running a free shipping promo or if there's a coupon, look into shopping those categories.

Shop sales and clearance.  I bought some cologne with my FH account that ended up being about the same as it would have been locally because it was on sale and under a free shipping promo. 

FH's shipping is SLOW.  Be prepared for that.

FH will grant credit line increases to you like candy if you buy stuff from them and treat them right.  Once you graduate to the revolving account, just buy something every now and then and pay it off after the statement cuts (the revolving account has a grace period so you aren't tied to paying interest).  Eventually the FH account grow very well - I've seen accounts with credit limits near $5K.  VERY helpful for utilization and some CCCs like to match credit limits, too.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to let you all know that I just received another CLI. In just 3.5 short months..this is my 2nd CLI.

When I first started out in Novermer 2014, I received an initial line of: $300.00. Then I made my first payment and then BAM...a $300 CLI to: $600.00. Then, BAM, 3 more payments l8r, I received another $400 bump. my allowed cedit is now $1,000.00. 

And I only made 1 purchase, which was 3 bottles of cologne w. shipping for: $80.00. I have $28.00 left to pay off. I didn't even need any CoCo--LoL!

How about dat son! LUV FINGAHUT!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of those new cards are racked with HUGE fees and interest!  Verve is even worse than Credit One (and I have a Credit One card and am one of the few who thinks it serves a purpose, at least for the first year)  I think you were fine with the FH, Capital one and one other secured card.  That is all you need combined with a little time to get to a better place.  Just pay very close attention to your terms and fees...know them inside and out!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.