cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Bad Mark On Credit Report (EOS CCA)

tag
BDHEAD

First Bad Mark On Credit Report (EOS CCA)

A few semesters ago I paid for school on a payment plan thru my community college. I thought I had made the last of my payments but due to losing a debit card the auto draft did not take the last payment of $75 from my new card. It was several months before I realized this when I visited my parents house where my mail was going. Upon receiving the collection notice I immediately called and made full payment of the $75. A few weeks later I was alerted online that my score had fallen from a 720 down to a 646. I have a relatively short credit report consisting of only one credit card with zero balance and no late payments, one retail card with zero balance and no late payments and finally an auto loan with all payments made on time for the life of the loan. I couldn't believe my score had dropped so low until I saw that I have a "Failure To Pay" from EOS CCA reporting to all three bureaus for the $75 I had just paid. The payment status reads "Paid, was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default". I couldn't believe that after paying in full they decided to report the debt and I was even more shocked that my score dropped over 70 points. This is the only bad mark on my otherwise spotless credit report. I am going to be looking to purchase a new vehicle soon and hate to know that my rates will be higher due to this issue. Is there anything I could do in order to have this mark removed? I understand that I am at fault for paying late. However, I know this is not an accurate representation of my ability to pay my obligations. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

Starting Score: 598
Current Score: 733
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

Re: First Bad Mark On Credit Report (EOS CCA)

Hold off on the car loan for now you could save thousands a year. Now here is what you do DV then GW after GW!
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Message 2 of 11
KevinBlock55
Established Member

He paid so no DV. Send this to them in a letter explaining the circumstances. Maybe include a copy of credit report to show how out of character this is for you. Let us know what happens!
Message 3 of 11
BDHEAD

Would I email or send a letter through snail mail for this? Also, is there a specific format I need to follow or anything specific I should mention? Lastly, how would I go about finding the correct contact and place to send this to? Sorry, I am a complete noob here.

Message 4 of 11
KevinBlock55
Established Member

Use the address on your credit report. I would email and send letters until they take it off. You can search for GW letters on here. Additionally, search for that CA and look up others success. Use a GW shell from here but taylor it to yourself. Keep it rather short and personal
Message 5 of 11
BDHEAD

I just sent the letter today. Hopefully I hear something back. Between my recent CLI and getting this removed my score should shoot up to 733 according to the score planner on my credit monitoring website. **Crossing my fingers!**

Message 6 of 11
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@BDHEAD wrote:

I just sent the letter today. Hopefully I hear something back. Between my recent CLI and getting this removed my score should shoot up to 733 according to the score planner on my credit monitoring website. **Crossing my fingers!**

We have good email addresses for EOS-CCA -- 

I will PM them to you

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 11
BDHEAD

Well I submitted the letter on 12/6 and as of 12/18 the EOS collection account has been removed from my credit report and my score is now sitting at a 733 (up 84 points!!) Smiley Happy

So happy!!! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@BDHEAD wrote:

Well I submitted the letter on 12/6 and as of 12/18 the EOS collection account has been removed from my credit report and my score is now sitting at a 733 (up 84 points!!) Smiley Happy

So happy!!! Smiley Happy

Congrats... very happy for you!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

Sweet.  I recommend Penfed for your car loan.  They pull one EQ time for membership and use the same pull for a car app, and offer 1.49%.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.