cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First CC application in 17 years: Accepted!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First CC application in 17 years: Accepted!

As the title says, I've had no credit card in 17 years, after a Sears card of all things terrifed me into "going dark" and closing all my accounts. I missed a payment being young and dumb on a low amount, and I got some heavy legalese threat letters that scared me into "cash only" ever since. Card I was approved for was a Capital One Platinum Mastercard, $300 CL. It's so silly, but I was terrified at taking the offer, followed by elated when it approved even at such a low CL!

The only reason I wasn't scared enough to apply was because I'd been flexing my credit know how on my husbands accounts after lurking here. He had no credit either, his history came from mortgage and auto loans and paying all our bills on time. I've gotten his credit established through Nebraska Furniture Mart, Care Credit, and a Chase Freedom Unlimited card in the last 5 months. His scores have seen a giant jump, we usually retain no balances and make payments hugely over the required minimum. Done applying for anything for now.

All my lurking here has enabled me to do this and not feel like I'm messing up or hurting our financial history. We have a mortgage and an auto loan, and not being "cash only" types at the time would've helped our interest rates out a lot. I'm proceeding happily, but ever cautiously.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: First CC application in 17 years: Accepted!

If you apped today (recently) the Platinum card, you may want to also apply for the Capital One QuickSilver One card without getting another hard pull.

Message 2 of 10
torry590
Regular Contributor

^^^ I second that.  People who get approved for the plat seem to more times than none get the QS1 as well with the same pull. 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did go back and apply for the QS1, but was denied saying I'd receive a letter. I see the wisdom in doing it regarding the pull so I have no regrets!

Message 4 of 10
torry590
Regular Contributor

Darn, but good way of looking at it!!! No extra hard pull, no harm, no foul.  Happy Building!! Once those cards report you will see a jump, you stated you already have installment loans such as auto and a mortgage.  Cards plus installment loans make for optimal FICO scoring.  Smiley Very Happy

First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I plan on putting my 2 monthly pedicures on it to keep CU low and paying it off fully each month. Wait for CLI, use the pre qualify tool then at Capital One and go for the QS1 at that time perhaps?

Message 6 of 10
torry590
Regular Contributor

The prequalifier may work in a little as two monts as you have other types of credit history as well.  Doesn't hurt to try.  Make sure you are Opted In, if you havent opted out you are most likely opted in.  Pre qualifiers don't work if you are opted out. Eventually the platinum may be available for upgrade to QS1 or QS. 

For optimal FICO scoring you want one card to report between a 1-9% balance.  If you have two cards for example, let one report a small balance and the other PIF before the report date. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For optimal scoring you need at least 3 revolving accounts to avoid the ding from having 50% (or all) of the accounts reporting a balance.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my quicksilver one approved and tried the Platinum and got denied .  Got denial letter saying recently opened account or pending application.

So please get the quicksilver one first and then try Platinum... may have to wait 30 days to get the other card.  I think Quicksilver one is better I like the cash back

Good Luck

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my quicksilver one approved and tried the Platinum and got denied .  Got denial letter saying recently opened account or pending application.

So please get the quicksilver one first and then try Platinum... may have to wait 30 days to get the other card.  I think Quicksilver one is better I like the cash back

Good Luck

This seems to be occurring more frequently as of late. Just re-apply in a day or two. As long as the pending app flag is seen, there will be no credit reports pulled, so its a "no harm, no foul" situation.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.