Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Card now what??

tag
mb2621
Established Member

Re: First Card now what??

My adivce is to use it wisely. It is truly not worth the consequences to spend like a drunken sailor. Especially if it's Capital One, they will fee the life out of you.

Message 11 of 12
tld409
Regular Contributor

Re: First Card now what??

CapONe was my first card when I began rebuilding last year. I was given $300 then it graduated to $500 in 6 months. This was the max allowed with that card (steps program). Capone is a great card to begin the rebuilding process. I used it routinely each month and paid it off completely or left a small amount on it so that less than 9% reported.  I also opened a JCP card a month after CapOne.  Store cards are easier to get than sub prime/prime cards.  I started getting mail offers 3 months after activating CapOne. My first was for First Savings Credit Card with a limit of $300  then i started getting better offers for DIscover  ($700) and American express Green card (NPL).  I then appliled for a Walmart card and approved for $700.  I gained all of these cards within 6 months of activating cap one and my limits are pretty good now for the most part.  

At the 1 year mark with capone, I called their executive office and requested a limit increase and approved with soft pull for 5k. I kept using cards and kept overall utilization around 4% for the most part which helped my scores. Of course, I worked on removing collections/charge offs as recommended from folks on this board.  I now have no negative accounts.  My scores are little lower now due to recent apps and new accounts added to my profile over the last  3 months.   There is wealth of information on these boards. You will see.

I AM VERY GREATFUL TO CAPONE GIVING ME A CHANCE!

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.