Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Investors Repo.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Investors Repo.

I have a Repo on my credit from first investors that is around 11,000. Is there any advice on this to what i should do about this. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: First Investors Repo.

What does the 11,000 represent?

The balance on the loan at time or repossession, the net loss to the creditor after disposal of the vehicle.....?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is the net loss.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would tell them you're looking into filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy to consolidate all your debt. They'll know that since the vehicle is gone, this balance wouldn't be considered a secured/priority debt. I would elaborate that you might be able to avoid filing if you're able to get all of your creditors on the same page... Then offer to settle for 10% of the balance... they'll probably come back and offer to settle for 75%. This game goes back and forth, they might give a final amount that they'll need in order to break even. Let them know that's too much and it'll be cheaper to file bankrupt.

Almost all debt collectors have quotas and earn commission and incentives based on dollars collected. They want to collect the absolute most TODAY. Your goal is to pay the least, get it settled/taken care of so they won't sue you for the full balance. If you aren't getting anywhere with the collector, you can always call back or wait until they call you again. The longer your account ages they more likely they'll settle for less. They know they won't get much of anything if you file bankrupt.

NOTE: For this to be effective, DON'T TELL THEM you've already obtained an attorney. Then they won't be able to negotiate with you.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When did it occur?

You have potential issues of statute of limitations and credit report exclusion to consider, so the age of the default is criticall to next steps.

Additinally, have they taken a charge-off or sold or referred to a debt colelctor?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

well it happend last year right after BK But i didint have a choice becuse i got laid off work and we had to keep the car that was paid for. So we are making payments on it every mounth but i dont know if we should keep paying on it becuse its already a loss on my end. What should i do?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any help on this would be great on what to do.

Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Not sure there is a great way around this. If there was a way get it off the report that would be great, but that is a large balance to handle all at once. If there is another option, hopefully someone more in the know than I am can tell you what that is.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.