cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Post - Unsure of Accuracy of Debt / Paying off A Debt

tag
GoalGetter

First Post - Unsure of Accuracy of Debt / Paying off A Debt

This is my first post. I'm 32 years old and have never had a credit card or a serious loan in my life. I'd like to be able to purchase a vehicle one day.

I pulled my credit report and I have three negative accounts. Two are rightfully mine and I am going to pay those as they are from 2011 & 2012.

However, one of these arrived on all three bureaus 3/2014. The crazy part is that:
A) The hospital is saying the date of service is 3/2009, but was not reported until 5 years later. COMMNWLTH FIN is the collection company.
B) COMMNWLTH FIN explained that it had something to do with my back (vertibre). I called and made the hospital verify that they had my driver's license on file, which she did. I'm concerned that someone may be using my identity. I've never had a back problem in my entire life. 

My last question is should I just pay the two others that are legitimate, or are there steps that I may take to better my credit report in the long run? I'm not worried about shelling out the money, rather I'd like to do what is best for my credit report.
The two legit accounts are from:
NCO FIN for $415.00 - 9/2011
STELLAR RECOVERY INC for $775 from 4/2012

Starting Score (Plus Score on 8/17/14): EQ 599 TU 591 EXP 598

Current Score (Plus Score on 5/26/18) :
EQ 637 TU 783EXP 672

Original Goal Score:
700+ w/ Established History

2018 Goal Score: 750+ all three
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Post - Unsure of Accuracy of Debt / Paying off A Debt

@GoalGetter wrote:

This is my first post. I'm 32 years old and have never had a credit card or a serious loan in my life. I'd like to be able to purchase a vehicle one day.

I pulled my credit report and I have three negative accounts. Two are rightfully mine and I am going to pay those as they are from 2011 & 2012.

However, one of these arrived on all three bureaus 3/2014. The crazy part is that:
A) The hospital is saying the date of service is 3/2009, but was not reported until 5 years later. COMMNWLTH FIN is the collection company.
B) COMMNWLTH FIN explained that it had something to do with my back (vertibre). I called and made the hospital verify that they had my driver's license on file, which she did. I'm concerned that someone may be using my identity. I've never had a back problem in my entire life. 

My last question is should I just pay the two others that are legitimate, or are there steps that I may take to better my credit report in the long run? I'm not worried about shelling out the money, rather I'd like to do what is best for my credit report.
The two legit accounts are from:
NCO FIN for $415.00 - 9/2011
STELLAR RECOVERY INC for $775 from 4/2012

On the 2 accounts that are yours, Ask for a PFD (pay for delete), search it here on the site to find a sample letter and pick one that suits your needs.

Message 2 of 6
GoalGetter

Thank you for the quick response. I've considered posting on here for a couple of weeks, but figured I would get flamed for asking such a basic question. I appreciate the advice!
I checked with the hospital and they do not have any other visits since that date. So I'm just going to go ahead and pay it.

I called COMMNWLTH FIN and they said they would do a PFD. I'm super nervous about paying it and it not being deleted. So I'd like to post the verbage of the document they have sent me:

Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc. is authorized to collect this debt in full for the amount indicated above.Upon receipt of the total we will consider this debt as "Satisfied" and you will have nofurther obligation to the above referenced creditor. We will also notify the three majorcredit bureaus to delete the above referenced account as soon as possible.If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

I could care less about $300.00 in the long run. Would you advise I am good to go ahead and pay it and they will actually delete the account?

Starting Score (Plus Score on 8/17/14): EQ 599 TU 591 EXP 598

Current Score (Plus Score on 5/26/18) :
EQ 637 TU 783EXP 672

Original Goal Score:
700+ w/ Established History

2018 Goal Score: 750+ all three
Message 3 of 6
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@GoalGetter wrote:

Thank you for the quick response. I've considered posting on here for a couple of weeks, but figured I would get flamed for asking such a basic question. I appreciate the advice!

You never have to worry about getting flamed for asking a basic (or any other) question; we've all been where you are, and everyone's reaching for the same goal.  This is an awesome forum to be a member of; so any time you feel the need to ask a question...go right ahead!!  Smiley Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 4 of 6
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@GoalGetter wrote:

I checked with the hospital and they do not have any other visits since that date. So I'm just going to go ahead and pay it.

I called COMMNWLTH FIN and they said they would do a PFD. I'm super nervous about paying it and it not being deleted. So I'd like to post the verbage of the document they have sent me:

Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc. is authorized to collect this debt in full for the amount indicated above.Upon receipt of the total we will consider this debt as "Satisfied" and you will have nofurther obligation to the above referenced creditor. We will also notify the three majorcredit bureaus to delete the above referenced account as soon as possible.If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

I could care less about $300.00 in the long run. Would you advise I am good to go ahead and pay it and they will actually delete the account?

I would not recommend that you pay for a hospital bill that is not yours. Do a DV to make them verify that they are your records with your signature. The problem with someone else using your identity for health situations, is that your medical records could get messed up and something that you're allergic to or shouldn't be done is done due to the incorrect records. As an example, what if the person that is using your records has had a hysterectomy or a vasectomy and there is some procedure or medicine that shouldn't be done/ given to someone who still has everything in working order?  What if the blood types are different and you end up with wrong blood during a transfusion?

Get that record fixed and disconnected from your Identity.

Here's the link that takes you to the most commonly requested threads 

Here’s a link from myFICO to help whatever you’re looking to do with your credit http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Frequently-Requested-Threads/m-p/224981

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
dursty87
Established Contributor

Yes, it appears their letter is stating they will delete once you satisfy/pay the collection.  I would do it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.