Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Premier Credit Card

my husband opened up a first premier bank card in 2009, then closed it after receiving it, after he decided he didn't want it after all. we never used the card, never activated it, yet it was reported to the CRAs as "closed, by consumer". i wrote to them and they wrote back that they'd be deleting it out of good faith... should I expect a change in the credit score?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Re: First Premier Credit Card

That depends on the age of his other accounts, his utilization percentage, etc. First Premier's CLs are never high, so I doubt his utilization %age will be affected even if they were reporting a CL. If he has a number of accounts older than 2 years, and he has other open bank cards, I doubt its removal will affect his score much at all since it wasn't a negative account.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh ok, i see. thanks for your input Smiley Happy

i wouldn't even know how to calculate the usage and all that.

Message 3 of 9
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

To calculate usage, look at his available credit and the total of his balances.

For example, if he has a Cap1 card with a limit of $1000 and a balance of $200 and and a Discover with a limit of $2000 and a balance of $500. Then he has $3000 in total available credit and he's using $700 of it, or about 23.5%.

You want to keep you utilization under 30%. Under 10% is better.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

After 2 years, I would've let it go. At this point it probably wasn't hurting his AAoA, and it would've added to it the older it got. Too late, though.

Message 5 of 9
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Except that First Premier charges a monthly fee for the use of their card (6.95 per month, I think) which makes the annual fee over $80 per year. That's a ridiculous cost for such a low-limit card and not worth it if you have other good lines of credit going. Plus with the fee being charged monthly it makes it far too easy to accidentally hit 30-days late if a payment is forgotten or something goes wrong with an auto-pay. You can't sock-drawer the card. You have to be sure to pay every single month. First Premier was my first card to dump as my credit improved. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless no one else (Orchard, Cap1 secured, etc.) would approve them.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

inthematrix, we don't have any revolving credit. all we have is a loan and a car note. we just got a capital one credit card with a limit of 300 and a balance of $10 right now, but it hasn't been reported yet

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@inthematrix wrote:

Except that First Premier charges a monthly fee for the use of their card (6.95 per month, I think) which makes the annual fee over $80 per year. That's a ridiculous cost for such a low-limit card and not worth it if you have other good lines of credit going. Plus with the fee being charged monthly it makes it far too easy to accidentally hit 30-days late if a payment is forgotten or something goes wrong with an auto-pay. You can't sock-drawer the card. You have to be sure to pay every single month. First Premier was my first card to dump as my credit improved. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless no one else (Orchard, Cap1 secured, etc.) would approve them.

If you were responding to my comment, I meant "let it go" as in let it report. The card had already been closed, but even so it was probably helping his score.

Message 8 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I was told just last week that "Closed at Credit Grantor" vs "Closed at Consumer's Request" are scored the same by FICO.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.