Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier / NYS 5 Year paid collection question

tag
Supafly535
Valued Member

First Premier / NYS 5 Year paid collection question

Hello!

I pulled my credit report today (Transuion Quarterly Monitoring) and have a collection from First Premier. Seeking some advice on my best course of action. Since I am a NYS resident - should I now pay the collection, so I can use the 5 year paid collection attempt to remove it from my report? Below is the info for both accounts:

It first went 30 days late on :  11/2007

It was 60 days late by: 12/2007

It was 90 days late by: 01/2008

Charged off on:  02/2008

Is the 5 year rule from 11/2007 or from 02/2008?

Balance: $405, Date updated: 09/09/2012, Last payment made: 07/31/2008, Date Closed: 03/01/2007, Status: Charged Off

Starting Score: 530
Current Score: 646
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: First Premier / NYS 5 Year paid collection question

If the first time you were late was 11/2007 and never brought the account current again, that would be the DoFD. 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: First Premier / NYS 5 Year paid collection question

Yes, the DOFD would be 11/2007.

So, under the federal FCRA, the deletion date of the CO and any collection would be no later than 5/2015.  The federal FCRA clearly mandates use of the DOFD.

However, application of the NYS 5-year date for paid collections and charge-offs is not that straight-forward.  It should be, however the NYS statute never makes any reference to use of DOFD or the additional 180 days.  Two of the three CRAs interpret the NYS statute in a manner to be consistent with the FCRA, and "read into it" the use of DOFD.

One CRA apparently does not, as posted by numerous people on this site, but rather chooses to interpret the running of the five year period from the date of the collectin or charge-off.

So you are apt to jump into a hornet's nest when attempting to get exclusion from all three CRAs when invoking the 5-year exclusion period based on the NYS statute.

Silly, but the way it apparentl is.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.