cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Question about CA/s

tag
BadCredit706

First Question about CA/s

Can a collection agency report to my credit that I will not pay and affect my credit? I went to attempt a PFD with Macy's from 4 years ago, long story short got angry they keep interupting me and I told them I would just wait until it fell off and I wasn't paying it. Well really I don't want to do that lol. So how can I find some more authority? 

Starting Score: 527 12/16/2012
Current Score: 527
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
BadCredit706

Re: First Question about CA/s

Account NameMCYDSNB  
Account #97XXXXXXXXX  
Account TypeCharge Account  
Balance$542.00  
Date Opened7/1/2010  

Account StatusClosed  
  Mo. Payment   
 Close Account DetailsPast Due$542.00  
  Payment StatusCharge-off  
  High Balance   
  Limit   
  TermsRevolving  
  CommentsCredit line closed-grantor request-reported by subscriber

What should I do about this? Does the OC still own it? They keep telling me they can't help and they have sent it to another company. But it still has my balance and not 0$. Says balance is $542 and Past Due.

Message 2 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The OC is reporting this and they still own the debt as evidenced by the balance owed. If I had that, I would mail a PFD. If after some attempts they keep denying it, then I'd PIF. Usually creditors will farm the debt to a CA for collection purposes. That's why they are saying they won't deal with you...because they don't have the resourses to collect.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 3 of 11
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

The OC is reporting this and they still own the debt as evidenced by the balance owed. If I had that, I would mail a PFD. If after some attempts they keep denying it, then I'd PIF. Usually creditors will farm the debt to a CA for collection purposes. That's why they are saying they won't deal with you...because they don't have the resourses to collect.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

+1

If they can't collect, someone can, which means I'd assume there's some CA out there assigned this debt.  I agree with llecs, if the PFD efforts fail, get it PIF and then you can GW them for eternity.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are no reporting codes for placing in your file assertions that you have decreed that you wont pay.

I would advise against ever making such a statement, as if the debt is legitimate, you have a legal obligation to pay until any SOL has expired.

It is stated that the PFD offer is being made to the creditor, not the debt collector?

If so, the creditor does not have the capability to delete reporting made by their debt collector.  They can request them to do so, but cant require them to delete.

Is there a a reason why the PFD is not being offered to the debt collector, or am I misreading the post?

Message 5 of 11
BadCredit706

I offered the PFD to all of them. Macy's credit department and the assigned collector. Macy's said it was out of their hands and trasnferred me to the CA I'm guessing. But it doesn't report in collections. I appreciate all the help BTW I am only 22 and am not trying to get kicked too far down before I even start. Lol.

People who collect said there was nothing they could do until AFTER I PIF. And even then said it wouldn't be a PFD but just show it was paid. 

Message 6 of 11
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Is the CA isn't reporting to the bureaus, you may have a small window to get it paid beforehand.  It's not going to make the Macy's C/O go anywhere, but you can blister them with GWs after the fact.  You may want to offer to pay the CA in exchange for the guarantee it never shows up

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Macy's is still showing a balance so they still own the debt.  I would try again to deal with them, then GW.  It would be easier then dealing with a CA and then still having the CO listed with Macy's and you having to get both TLs removed.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 11
BadCredit706

I'm going to try that ASAP tomorrow! I appreciate all the info again! So if they don't budge at all just pay the CA and then GW letter Macy's?

Message 9 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

PFD the CA and GW Macy's.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.