Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Step Need Advice Please

tag
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

First Step Need Advice Please

Hello, Everyone! Hope all is well this new year and wish everyone success!!

I am about to embark on my rebuilding journey! Don’t worry, I’ve packed a lunch! 😉

My needed help is in the my best course of action on tackling my validated CO BADDIES and at the same time should I app for a secured card while I try to get baddies removed PFD? OR Should I wait until I’ve done my BEST on getting what I CAN get removed? Would it matter either way? Please take a look at these and see if they would(I’m sure they will) hinder my app approvals for certain secured cc’s and store cc’s????
These are all CO’s and Validated:

Credit Systems Intl($42)medical
First Progress Secured($136)over limit
ProCollect Inc($148)CarCare??
Credit Control Services($290)progressive
Verizon($622)cellphone
United Revenue Corp($947)

Just a note: I DO NOT plan on going on an app-spree!!

I have no inquiries almost 2 yrs. I’m saving those HP inquiries for just the 2-3 minimal cc’s I can be approved for with such low scores??

EX=543(from ex website)
TU=508(from CS app)
EQ=???

Any GREAT ADVICE would be a BLESSING!!
😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: First Step Need Advice Please

I would do the best that can be removed first. Just in case they are periodically soft pulling your credit to see if you are making great strides in a credit rebuild recently. This way, it appears hmm, nothing new in 2 years, this might be our best chance of closing out the debt with a PFD. Often times, I'm talking 3 year old medical bills suddenly popping up, or reporting and updating each and every month after someone is making progress in credit rebuild, just when they feel light at the end of tunnel. 

If you have pulled your reports directly from the bureaus, you can kinda tell who is watching you for such, by the soft pulls. Watch for ones that you do not recognize, and pay attention to the collection agencies that are checking every 3-6 months. 

Message 2 of 13
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the Blazing response!! Wow! That was FAST! Awesome! Again THANKS A MILLION!!

I haven’t pulled my cr’s yet(too early) but the months are creeping up soon. Once I do though I will DEFINITELY be more mindful of WHO is viewing my reports!! I never thought of checking that area so closely(?) interesting thought though.

So, you are saying that “POTENTIAL?” Credit Companies do these kind of check as a “prowling technique?” for future customers to present “offers?” If that’s the case then it makes PERFECT SENSE to be more aware in this area. Thanks!

So, your BEST ADVICE is to tackling and remove everything I can(baddie wise) before I start to app? Again, makes perfect sense.

My approach was kind of maybe “jumping the gun” per se?? Thinking that if I app for say for an OpenSky secured card while tackling those baddies I’d get a kind of “Give and Take” deal(?) But, I see now(after your advise) that I would have a BETTER shot at BETTER cc’s if those baddies were just gone. So, this way I save my HP’s for a better shot. Is that what I’m understanding correctly???

Thanks😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 13
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Previous creditors or other things can be given to other creditors for "promotional" inquiries, they do not count against your reports, and those are for those offers you get in the mail. 

Some collections, as you may notice on reports will show on report, but not necessarily updating every month. Those are ones that can soft pull you and just love to see someone working on their credit, and wham, you are now updated each and every month, crushing your score more. They realize this person is rebuilding and this will draw your attention to them. Then there is are those, who may not even report for reasons unknown, but I have seen it over and over. forum posts, etc. OMG, a 4 yr old old _____________bill just popped up on my report and I dropped 100 pts! 

Reason I say best to try to clear up what you can, surprisingly I checked on the highest one you listed, their website specifically says, you pay in full, we will remove. I'd tried for the sure thing like that one (if funds available), and the smallest first. It can be scary contacting a collection agency, but amounts on the low end are most likely to work with you, and it helps to see them drop and builds you up to tackle the difficult ones. 

I haven't researched all the ones you listed, but I think Verizon will be the one that will be the thorn in your side the most. 

I do believe, that as many as can be removed and your score bumps some that it will look more favorable on your rebuild when you app for cards, secured or unsecured. 

Message 4 of 13
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the forum dear!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would def recommend waiting until those baddies come off before applying. I waited a solid 8-9 months into my rebuild before applying and I managed to get the Discover IT card with a $2k limit. I preapproved for it too. 

You don’t have to wait so long but holding those HP for some more desirable cards than the OpenSky might make you feel a bit better... it did me, at least. 

Message 6 of 13
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thank You for that information!!! 😊👍👍👍

I just pulled all 3 CRAs and I took a good 👀 look at WHO has been scoping me out. I noticed a NEW set of eyes upon my cr and I do not know who they are??? Might be a resold baddie? Either way, I do know NOW(thanks to you, no doubt👍) to be more mindful of that particular area. Thank you again.

Yes. I agree, Verizon will probably be that thorn. I will give my best on all of them.

Also, on the end of my Eq report(collections) shows ANOTHER(medical) CO acct?? For $72. From SYNERPRISE CONSULTANTING SVS
but not showing up on the others(?) Is that normal for an account to show on ONE CR but not the others? Because, I have a couple others doing the same. Reporting on 2 but not one, and so on...it seems odd to me but, that’s why I’m HERE!! Lol

Thank you, AGAIN!!

>

I❤️NY
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brooklyn! I just moved from Crown Heights to Atlanta! I'd strongly suggest you work on your baddies first. You make any progress your score can go up 25-100+ points. It depends. That will give you better odds when you apply for secured CCs. I think you know where to shop: make a list of 5-6 secured CCs then pick 3 with the best odds. Read about approvals for each CC and do your due diligence. If I was you I'd look for these secured cards: - Open Sky - Discover It - Citi - Wells Fargo - CapOne - BofA - Apple Bank P.S.: and also more likely apply in the exact same order. If you could get first 3 CCs you are a rock star!
Message 8 of 13
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Awesome! Thank You!

Yes. I believe I will take that advice and run with it!! 🏃‍♂️👍

I definitely WANT to use my HP for something that may start me off with a small CL BUT, with one that’ll also give me CLI with responsible use, WITHOUT me requesting one. That’s WHERE I plan to be, in due time.
I am so glad I took the leap to signup here! Although, I haven’t done anything, YET...but, just knowing I have HELP from people who ACTUALLY CARE is a VERY COMFORTING FEELING!! And I do and will take all the advice I received and I don’t do ANYTHING until I’ve asked what to do first! Wish I knew about you guy’s when I first started. I definitely thank you and everyone else who has made the struggle and shared their stories and advice to guide persons like myself and ensure we don’t make those mistakes, again!! 👍👍👍

Thank You!!

>

I❤️NY
Message 9 of 13
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Yes it is quite normal. It cost money to report, so not unusual to be on 1 report or 2 instead of all 3.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.