Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Poster/Advice regarding 200 dollar Collection

tag
Session421

First Time Poster/Advice regarding 200 dollar Collection

Hello,

First time poster, long time lurker. I have a question regarding a collection my report, and I need some advice. My TU score on here is 730, which I am happy about, but my EQ score is only 634, I didn't realize the giant gap between scores! I have a collection, which I believe is from Fox Collections for a 198 Dentist/Medical Bill, back in March 2013. I honestly really am not trying to wait Another 7 years for it to fall off, as by next year I hope to be in the market for a New Car, and I know most dealers wont just pull my TU Fico score. What are my options? I have disputed this on Experien, which I did not win. And then dispute on Transunion, which did get removed. Anyone have y experiences with PTD regarding Fox Collections, and the best method to go about it? Would contacting the Denist itself matter at all this point? Should I try disputing with EQ first? Just trying to mull my options over.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: First Time Poster/Advice regarding 200 dollar Collection

I would try to contact the dentist office and see if they will take payment in full if they will pull the account from the collection agency. Did you receive a bill from them if not I would also mention that as well.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 8
Session421

Even if it's older? It came on record in March and the original amount was owed from the year before. Would a letter or call work better, and I assume I should get something in writing that they will agree to pull it if I pay in full? I don't mind paying it all in full, whether it is to them or the CA

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What was the basis for the dispute with TU that resulted in the deletion with them?

It is possible that, if the dispute was based on inaccuracy of information that went to the legitimacy of the debt itself, and they were unable to verify the accuracy in investigation of that dispute, they incurred an obligation to also report that same result to any other CRA to which they had reported the disputed information.

See FCRA 623(b)(1)(D), which requires a furnisher to report their findings of their investigation of a dispute with all CRAs if update of their reporting is required, and not simply the one who is processing the dispute.

Was the dispute of such substance that it made the accuracy of the reported collection unverified?

Message 4 of 8
Session421

I reported to Transunion that it wasn't me/similar name (I believe). At that point it came off. I then tryed it Equifax, and it came back verfied that it was me.

Message 5 of 8
Session421

Bump. Anyone?

Should I call the Collection Agency itself and explain they are required to take it off?

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you disputed with one CRA and the reporting was deleted based on that dispute, they may or may not have a requirement to also delete with all other CRAs.

In any dispute, the CRA must forward a copy of the dispute to the furnisher for their investigation.

If the furisher responds that the accuracy cannot be verified, the CRA handling the dispurte will delete, and the furnisher is required to report those same results to each other CRA ro which they have reported that information.

However, they may simply provide no response to the CRA.  Lacking verification from the furnisher will result in no basis for the CRA to make a finding in their reinvestigation of the dispute that it s verified as accurate, so they must delete.

Lack of response is not the same as affirmative admission that the information cannot be verified, and thus would not compel them to delete with the other CRAs.

You probably have no way of knowing if or what response was provided by them to the CRA during your dispute process.

To establish whether they responded to the CRA, you can send a request to the CRA for a description of the procedure they used in their reinvestigation, including who the dispute was sent to, and whether they responded.  A so-called method of verification (MOV) request can thus be used to determine whether the debt collector was required to have reported their result to all CRAs, or whther the deletion by one CRA was based only on their own internal finding in their reinvestigation.

As a side note, based on numerous prior posts here in the forum, it appears that the CRAs are rather cavalier about responding to MOV requests, and are not usually very specific about describing their method of verification.  You may get back only a boilerplate letter that they forwarded the dispute to the debt collector.

Message 7 of 8
Session421

I think the easiest and best thing possible going forward, is to just try to send out a DV letter, and if that fails, a PTD. Is it too late to do these htings If i tryed online already to dispute with TU and EQ? I'm still new to this. If it matters, I don't really mind just PTD, I just want it off my report.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.