Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First attempt at GW letters!

tag
cp94550
Regular Contributor

First attempt at GW letters!

After doing some research on here, and pulling my credit reports ( and learning about goodwill letters) I am giving GW a shot.

On Monday I sent out 1 letter to HSBC and 1 letter to Citibank.  I also sent an email to Citibank President/CEO.

Today I am on a roll and am sending out 8 more letters to HSBC and 2 more to Citibank, in addition to an email to HSBC.

Hoping to get someone ANYONE to read my letter and help me out.  

Background on these 2 accounts - Citibank I had from the day I turned 18 until I was 25.  The account was closed for lack of use.  During that time I had 4 late payments.  I am asking to have those 4 late payments removed.  HSBC I had for a whopping 5 months.  Account was good for 2 months, lost my job, messed up and missed 3 payments, account closed by HSBC, paid in full the next month.  Asking to have this account removed from report or late payments changed to on time.

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Re: First attempt at GW letters!

Good luck! Sending out that first batch of GW's really got my juices flowing. So far I'm 2-for-2 on GW's. You are on the right path. I don't think you need to send out a zillion GW's to the same institution all at the same time, though. Give them a little bit of time and see if they work.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!  I keep telling myself I'm going to send out a GW letter for my one and only negative, but I still haven't gotten around to it.  It's been 2 months, almost 3!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!  I keep telling myself I'm going to send out a GW letter for my one and only negative, but I still haven't gotten around to it.  It's been 2 months, almost 3!

Well, what are you waiting for? I found my GW letters sent via fax and email to be the most effective. That is becuase the responses were sent back to me, via email or followed up by a phone call. Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
cp94550
Regular Contributor

Here is an update.. I sent an email and letter to the president of Citicards.  I did this about 1.5 weeks ago.  Today I got a call from someone in the Executive Office.  The president received my email and they are able to delete the entire account from my CR.  I asked if it was possible to only delete/modify the late payments to show on time, but she told me that they had been reported correctly and she is unable to modify that.

I'm excited that my GW worked, but now I'm thinking it may end up hurting my score in some way.  This was my oldest account (7 years) but the account was closed and was showing as negative on my CR... so I'm hoping it will give me a little boost and not a drop.

Message 5 of 14
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

wow you are so lucky to already have a GW success.... i have been sending GW's for 2 or 3 weeks now.... and have gotten only 4 no's and nothing else.... 

Smiley Sad 

We are talking ALOT of GW's lol

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 14
cp94550
Regular Contributor

She said that they were responding to my email, so maybe give some emails a shot?  I'm just hoping that it doesn't backfire on me since it was my oldest account.

Message 7 of 14
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

My oldest account is a collections account (only a few months older then my second oldest line)

I send emails and got some snoody woman from MCM (i have 2 accounts from them) AND from Cap one (MCM owns my two cap 1 cards) and both were very rude and both flat out said no....

i have sent numerous emails and always get shot back at me. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous_V wrote:

My oldest account is a collections account (only a few months older then my second oldest line)

I send emails and got some snoody woman from MCM (i have 2 accounts from them) AND from Cap one (MCM owns my two cap 1 cards) and both were very rude and both flat out said no....

i have sent numerous emails and always get shot back at me. 

have you looked at your approach? Are you sounding positive? Apologetic? I think these are all factors you may think about. Send a warm, heartfelt email. And THINK POSITIVE!

Message 9 of 14
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

I do, very much so from the heart... i dont think there is a way to tweak them any more. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.