Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First late from vantage west credit union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First late from vantage west credit union

So I have had impeccable credit since the day I turned 18 and I decided to be stupid and co sign for a $2,500 loan with my ex girlfriend two years ago. Apparently she has been late on the loan over 60 days and I just checked my credit score and it went from 767 to 706 because they reported to the bureau.

I tried contacting them and seeing if they could remove it if I paid the rest of the 1,300 loan off. I also told them I was deploying tomorrow and wanted to get a home when I got back, which is probably not going to happen now and they told me they couldn't help me. I am so mad because after having perfect credit for 5 years she has messed up my credit and I have no idea how to get it off. She said she is going to pay it off in the next two weeks and if she doesn't I'll pay it off by the next payment and take her to court; but that's besides the point.

I was wondering if you think a goodwill letter would work for a local credit union or if I should just try to email the ceo. I have called a couple times and even went into a branch and they said they couldn't help me and I am so mad at myself for even doing that to begin with. I can't find the email for the ceo either. Any help would be appreciated as I am at a lost for words and with my deployment coming up tomorrow I have enough to worry about besides this.

Also I was unaware that they didn't have to contact me if the bill was late. What is the point in me even signing for it if they don't try and contact me when she is late? They said they aren't required too and I don't even talk to her anymore so I had to find out the hard way by pulling my score randomly like I do every month.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: First late from vantage west credit union

Welcome to the forums!!!
I would maybe try one of the higher ups. Maybe they'll be understanding of the situation and sensitive to your deployment and want to help. It's certainly worth a shot. If not, then trying goodwills's can be the next option. Anything in hopes of getting it fixed and you have nothing to lose. Best of luck to you!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no obligation to have even noticed the principle holder on the loan before reporting a delinquency, let alone a co-signor.

I would contnue to pursue a request for good-will deletion.

A 60-late is a minor derog, and most of its impact will be gone within 2 years.

It is very unlikely that it will have any significant effect on a loan approval after you return and apply for a mortgage.

The more significant issue is preventing it from recurring.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I emailed the CEO of the credit union and he forwarded the message to the loans officer who is apparently in the executive office and he emailed me and asked to speak with me on the phone to explain my situation. After talking for a couple minutes he understands the situation and they are removing the negative from my credit score and he said to call him if I have any other problems. I will be paying off the loan that I cosigned for and taking my ex girlfriend to court to get the loan payed back to myself to get my name off of it. I could not be more relived; thank you guys once again.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.