Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First step?

I've been trying to get a pay to delete from these collection agencys but they won't do. i have talked to lawyers and they say they probably won't be able to do anything either. I have the money to pay them all but I dont want them to stay on my credit report for another 7 years. Should i pay them all and then dipute them or should i dipute them first and then pay them. Because if I ask for validation they probably can find them but people say they usually won't. Or is there other ways to get them deleted. Or what do I do first pay them off or not i just need help

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tyhollin
Valued Member

Re: First step?

It really depends on the situation. It's important to request validation of debt anytime someone says you owe them money. Especially a collection agency trying to collect on behalf of another company. If someone you had never met showed up to your door and said they needed to collect money on behalf of someone else you would certainly verify they were legitmately collecting the money before you'd ever hand over a dollar. It should be the same with any collection agency.

If they are the original creditors and you know you owe them money you can still validate the debt anyway. You do want to be careful with validating some valid debt because that can trigger further collection efforts such as a lawsuit. If I were you and I had the money to pay them I would first send a dv letter and if you they do end up validating the debt, call them and ask for a settlement. If and when they take the money from you try dipsuting them with the CRA's. A lot of the time a company wont bother spending resources to respond to a dispute they have already collected on and you will be able to get them to remove it. If that doens't work there are many other options that you will find right here in these forums. It may take time, but almost anything can be removed early with enough time and trouble. 

Message 2 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying to get a pay to delete from these collection agencys but they won't do. i have talked to lawyers and they say they probably won't be able to do anything either. I have the money to pay them all but I dont want them to stay on my credit report for another 7 years. Should i pay them all and then dipute them or should i dipute them first and then pay them. Because if I ask for validation they probably can find them but people say they usually won't. Or is there other ways to get them deleted. Or what do I do first pay them off or not i just need help

List the collectors, amounts due, and the actions taken by them/you up to this point, with each CA.

....where there's a will, there's a way...to annoy. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

oc- college tution- ca-$248

oc- sprint- ca AFNI-$756

oc-cavalry- capital one bank- ca-$371

oc- cox communications cable- ca-$240

I have called all of the ca's and i have asked them all for a pay for delete and got rejected and i kept calling and kept getting the same anwser which was a big mistake because i think i shouldve started with a letter. Sprint even made it a major derogatory what ever that means. anyway i have seen people advertise some kind of letter on youtube and some other sites that removes your collections like magic i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this letter. another question is if they wont do a PFD should i pay first and then send a dv or the other way around. because i asked sprint for one and there like no problem. and if decide to pay it should i pay the full balance or ask for a lower one. sorry for all the questions im just really confused and i just want my credit up thanks a lot.

Message 4 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

oc- college tution- ca-$248

oc- sprint- ca AFNI-$756

oc-cavalry- capital one bank- ca-$371

oc- cox communications cable- ca-$240

I have called all of the ca's and i have asked them all for a pay for delete and got rejected and i kept calling and kept getting the same anwser which was a big mistake because i think i shouldve started with a letter. Sprint even made it a major derogatory what ever that means. anyway i have seen people advertise some kind of letter on youtube and some other sites that removes your collections like magic i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this letter. another question is if they wont do a PFD should i pay first and then send a dv or the other way around. because i asked sprint for one and there like no problem. and if decide to pay it should i pay the full balance or ask for a lower one. sorry for all the questions im just really confused and i just want my credit up thanks a lot.

There is no magic "cure," as to remove baddies. It's entirely up to their being nice, the collection being tied to the wrong person, or the collection being in violation of FDCPA.

A major derog is anything more than 60 days late.

Usually OC's aren't thrilled about PFD's. CA's deal with that usually, but you can ask the OC's for a retraction, in trade for payment, which will cause the TL to update as paid/settled, which looks better than "Late/CO/in collections."

What are the dates these items went bad? That'll help in determining the appropriate next step.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.