Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First things first...

tag
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

First things first...

We've learned a ton since we first came here in December to improve our scores for mortgage approval. Thank you! Mid score is now 676, we have the pre-approval, found a house well below or max budget and are scheduled to close at the end of the month if all goes well.

We are sitting at 3% utilization right now. We've got one sub prime card, GE Care Credit, and one store card.

So now we'd really like to utilize what we've learned by building, building, building. We also have renovations to begin.

So now we're trying to figure our what order to do everything in.

Obviously close first and get keys in hand.
We need to get another car for our family but we plan on spending no more than $5k. We have a guaranteed approval here with our little local C.U. because we've done all of our car loans through them for twenty years and never missed a payment so even when our credit tanked they gave us a good rate.

We also want:

1. Lowes (GE and we figure we have a good shot since our Care Credit is GE and has had perfect history. )
2. Chase Freedom to replace the sub-prime
3. Costco AmEx for an AmEx and because we are HEAVY Costco users with the exec. membership

So the order of how to do this is confusing. In June we have an old charge off dropping off and our almost seven year old foreclosure dropping as well. We are tempted to wait for this. As an aside, it is already off TU which I believe is what Costco pulls. Fico says TU is a 707.) But I also know Costco likes to"match" other cards credit limits. Week that's only $300 on the sub prime and $1000 on Care Credit. But I also know they are gun shy of inquiries, which makes me hesitate to ask for a cli on the GE card first.

Dh's parents are buying a new car and wild take trade in value for their old car of $3200. It has high miles but is super dependable and they take care of their vehicles, perfect third car. But they want it sold as as soon as we close on the house so we need to have a plan in place. Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: First things first...

Obviously, dont app for anything until the mortgage is closed.

If the car is a priority and your local CU is a reliable source, I would app immediately after closing on the mortgage.

I would wait until the two major derog are excluded from your scoring before pursuing the new CCs.

Message 2 of 4
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Obviously, dont app for anything until the mortgage is closed.

If the car is a priority and your local CU is a reliable source, I would app immediately after closing on the mortgage.

I would wait until the two major derog are excluded from your scoring before pursuing the new CCs.

+1 

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 3 of 4
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

I'm wondering if order of the CCs is important?

For example - Costco is senstive to both inquiries and limits of other cards.

I was thinking:

CLI on GE Care Credit  (perfect history, currently at $1,000,  0% utility, will turn 1 this fall.)

then

Freedom Card

then

Costco?

then Lowe's?  (Another GE card like Care Credit so I think it has a good shot of a decent CLI)

Or put Lowe's before Costco to have another card up there with a $1,000+ credit limit?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.