Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First try at a dispute letter

tag
SantanzChild
Valued Member

First try at a dispute letter

Have been reading here for a bit over a year and thanks to all the advice and ideas I have my credit almost completely clean except for one that has been paid but refuses to delete ever.  And the one I am attempting to dispute since they cant verify the account.  I havnt had to write a dispute letter before so was hoping for critiques or changes that need to be made if you wouldnt mind.

12 Feb 2014

Address

CBS Collections Clarksville

P.O. Box 482
121 West Dunbar Cave Road
Clarksville, TN 37041-0482

CBS Collections Clarksville

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b)

In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

Identification of the specific information being disputed:

Account # 706086000XXXXXXX

Balance $1,150.00

Opened on 9/8/2008

Basis for the dispute:
This account is being reported on my credit report as a bad debt placed with an collection agency. I placed a call to your office on XX Feb 2014 and your agent was unable to give me the full account number or even find an account in my name. I do not recognize this debt and your agency was unable to verify the debt.

Supporting documentation:

Attached is a copy of the account in dispute from my credit report.

Name Printed

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First try at a dispute letter

If the CA is acting for the OC a Section 623 dispute would go to the OC not a CA, what gets sent to a CA is a DV.

Message 2 of 7
SantanzChild
Valued Member

They ignored my DV and cant tell me if they own the account or are working as an agent and I dont know who the OC even was since I dont recognize the debt.  Hell they cant even find it in there records but at the same time they wont delete.  I have a dispute in with TU but was trying to double tap just in case.

Should I just wait for TU to finish in a few weeks with a response?

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SantanzChild wrote:

They ignored my DV and cant tell me if they own the account or are working as an agent and I dont know who the OC even was since I dont recognize the debt.  Hell they cant even find it in there records but at the same time they wont delete.  I have a dispute in with TU but was trying to double tap just in case.

Should I just wait for TU to finish in a few weeks with a response?

As far as further CRA disputes wait till the one you have open is settled otherwise it extends time to 45 days for them if you start another dispute. If you are getting stonewalled by the CA and legitimately dont know what the debt is I suggest a CFPB dispute against the CA if you dispute with the CRA does not get a deletion.

Message 4 of 7
SantanzChild
Valued Member

OK I'll read up on CFL while I wait for TU to respond. Appreciate the advice.
Message 5 of 7
SantanzChild
Valued Member

Stupid auto correct....
Message 6 of 7
SantanzChild
Valued Member

Dispute results came back today as verified.  CRA claims there are changes but there are none on the copy they sent me that I can identify.  Called the CA again spent over an hour on the phone and they still couldnt find the account.  They forwarded it to there book keeper and said they will call me back.  I am not holding out much hope anyone have and example letters to base a CFPB compaint off of for this situation?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.