Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing Poor Credit

tag
ps1819grits

Fixing Poor Credit

Hi, 

(I am new, so sorry for all the questions!)

My husband and I just pulled our credit reports to see what was what. We both have poor credit due to "stupid tax" decisions, a couple years of financial distress, and a foreclosure on each of our reports (separate houses). We both have been married before/divorced and his ex completely screwed his credit using POA (he was military). 

I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and could less about my credit but we are renters and need to move soon, plus we need to add a 2nd car to our family soon. 

My husband has a lot of accounts that say charge-off' on them. What does that mean exactly? Does he still technically owe those accounts? What about accounts that she (the ex) opened in his name that he had no idea about? Is there any way he can legally dispute them? 

My foreclosed home loan .... this is from 2009. The lawyer for the foreclosure gave me papers that said I was no longer responsible for the debt and that the bank was not requesting me to pay the difference of what was on the loan vs what the house was worth (I think thats what it said). Does this paperwork help me in any way regarding it on my credit report? 

On mine, my ex's addresses (after we divorced) and one loan are listed on there. Why? I have had no part in those addresses or loan. Can I dispute that? 

Who do we contact to start paying this debt off? The individual accounts? Once we have accounts paid off/deleted, how do we make sure that they are reported correctly on our reports? 

I've seen several posts where people had accounts deleted off their credit reports. What kind of accounts and how/why did it happen that way? 

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sense of everything and get started clearing it up!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Fixing Poor Credit

@ps1819grits wrote:

Hi, 

(I am new, so sorry for all the questions!)

My husband and I just pulled our credit reports to see what was what. We both have poor credit due to "stupid tax" decisions, a couple years of financial distress, and a foreclosure on each of our reports (separate houses). We both have been married before/divorced and his ex completely screwed his credit using POA (he was military). 

I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and could less about my credit but we are renters and need to move soon, plus we need to add a 2nd car to our family soon. 

My husband has a lot of accounts that say charge-off' on them. What does that mean exactly? Does he still technically owe those accounts? What about accounts that she (the ex) opened in his name that he had no idea about? Is there any way he can legally dispute them?  A Charge off is an accounting term used for the status of the account.  It means after a period of time they did not believe they would be paid and wrote it off.  Yes, the debt is still owed.  They may have sold it to a collection agency and if that is the case, you owe the collection agency and not the original creditor.  He may be able to dispute them but, first, she was his spouse and second, she had a POA giving her the power to do it without his knowledge.  It would probably be a long process with an outcome of he owes the money.

My foreclosed home loan .... this is from 2009. The lawyer for the foreclosure gave me papers that said I was no longer responsible for the debt and that the bank was not requesting me to pay the difference of what was on the loan vs what the house was worth (I think thats what it said). Does this paperwork help me in any way regarding it on my credit report?   In what respect?  It could only help if the foreclosure was not reporting correctly.

On mine, my ex's addresses (after we divorced) and one loan are listed on there. Why? I have had no part in those addresses or loan. Can I dispute that?  Was the loan taken out while you were still married?  If not, then yes, you can dispute it.  However, I would directly dispute with the creditor and not the CRA.

Who do we contact to start paying this debt off? The individual accounts? Once we have accounts paid off/deleted, how do we make sure that they are reported correctly on our reports?   It depends on what type of debt, who has the debt etc. 

I've seen several posts where people had accounts deleted off their credit reports. What kind of accounts and how/why did it happen that way?  It was probably a pay for delete.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sense of everything and get started clearing it up!!  Start by reading the links in my signature.  There is a lot of good information in there.

Thanks for all the help!!

Message 2 of 8
trc1962
Regular Contributor

I was also a Dave Ramsey fan and I still think he has some good ideas. However, after reading his book I paid off and closed 3 accounts-my scores took a nose dive. Mr. Ramsey probably doesn't need a fico score, but like you I recently wanted to rent after selling my home and my fico score made it hard. I also had some medical collections being paid and that did not help either. I then read a Suze Orman book and found out why most of us (not millionaires) do indeed need fico. I am in the process of undoing the damage done and this forum is better than any book I have read! I was able to rent because I had money in savings to make it kind of a secured rental. I will use credit wisely to rebuild my score-I want a house again and pay less for insurance!

Message 3 of 8
ps1819grits

@trc1962 wrote:

I was also a Dave Ramsey fan and I still think he has some good ideas. However, after reading his book I paid off and closed 3 accounts-my scores took a nose dive. Mr. Ramsey probably doesn't need a fico score, but like you I recently wanted to rent after selling my home and my fico score made it hard. I also had some medical collections being paid and that did not help either. I then read a Suze Orman book and found out why most of us (not millionaires) do indeed need fico. I am in the process of undoing the damage done and this forum is better than any book I have read! I was able to rent because I had money in savings to make it kind of a secured rental. I will use credit wisely to rebuild my score-I want a house again and pay less for insurance!

The point of following Dave Ramsey's plan is to pay cash for everything and not have to worry about your credit score at all. The point of the 7 baby steps is to get out of debt and stay out of debt and pay cash for everything...cars, house, rentals, etc! I personally do not care about my credit except for the fact that we currently do not have all 7 baby steps completed so we do not have the cash to pay for everything and we absolutely have to move before Christmas. So we decided to attempt to correct the debts that we owe and continue to follow the 7 steps to being debt free!!

Message 4 of 8
ps1819grits

@guiness56 wrote:

@ps1819grits wrote:

My husband has a lot of accounts that say charge-off' on them. What does that mean exactly? Does he still technically owe those accounts? What about accounts that she (the ex) opened in his name that he had no idea about? Is there any way he can legally dispute them?  A Charge off is an accounting term used for the status of the account.  It means after a period of time they did not believe they would be paid and wrote it off.  Yes, the debt is still owed.  They may have sold it to a collection agency and if that is the case, you owe the collection agency and not the original creditor.  He may be able to dispute them but, first, she was his spouse and second, she had a POA giving her the power to do it without his knowledge.  It would probably be a long process with an outcome of he owes the money.

^^^So we just need to work on paying them off?? Unfortunately he has no paperwork from his "previous life" as he moved many times. 

On mine, my ex's addresses (after we divorced) and one loan are listed on there. Why? I have had no part in those addresses or loan. Can I dispute that?  Was the loan taken out while you were still married?  If not, then yes, you can dispute it.  However, I would directly dispute with the creditor and not the CRA.
^^^Ok, I went back and looked again and it is just his addresses that are being reported on my credit report. I have never lived at those places or received mail there. Why would they be on my credit report??

Who do we contact to start paying this debt off? The individual accounts? Once we have accounts paid off/deleted, how do we make sure that they are reported correctly on our reports?   It depends on what type of debt, who has the debt etc. 

^^^^Do we call the number that is listed on the credit report if there is one?? Most of his debt is credit cards. 

I've seen several posts where people had accounts deleted off their credit reports. What kind of accounts and how/why did it happen that way?  It was probably a pay for delete.

^^^I'm afraid I don't understand. Smiley Sad Pay for delete? How and why?

There are at least 3 accounts on his (my husbands) report that have been paid. Can we click the dispute button or is there another way to go about that? 

Also, if there are multiple accounts with the same name/phone number, were they maybe different credit cards for the same company (ie: Target)?? 

I really am lost when it comes to credit and such as I have never really had to deal with it before, but now that we are at a place that we can slowly start paying things off, I want to figure all this out and be able to make educated decisions!

Thanks again!!

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ps1819grits wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@ps1819grits wrote:

^^^So we just need to work on paying them off?? Unfortunately he has no paperwork from his "previous life" as he moved many times. 

^^^Ok, I went back and looked again and it is just his addresses that are being reported on my credit report. I have never lived at those places or received mail there. Why would they be on my credit report??

The would be on his ex's report also.  Would she be paying on them?

^^^^Do we call the number that is listed on the credit report if there is one?? Most of his debt is credit cards. 

It depends on who has the account and who owns it.  Is it still with the OC or has it been assigned/sold to a CA?

^^^I'm afraid I don't understand. Smiley Sad Pay for delete? How and why?  Pay for delete is when you come to an agreement with the reporting enity to pay the debt and they agree to delete it from your credit report.

There are at least 3 accounts on his (my husbands) report that have been paid. Can we click the dispute button or is there another way to go about that? 

Also, if there are multiple accounts with the same name/phone number, were they maybe different credit cards for the same company (ie: Target)?? 

If they have been paid, yes, you can dispute them.  Do the accounts have the same account numbers and are they being reported by the same company.  If they are duplicates you can dispute as such.

I really am lost when it comes to credit and such as I have never really had to deal with it before, but now that we are at a place that we can slowly start paying things off, I want to figure all this out and be able to make educated decisions!

Thanks again!!

You need to know the DoFD of each account and what the SOL is for your state for each kind of debt.

Message 6 of 8
ps1819grits

You need to know the DoFD of each account and what the SOL is for your state for each kind of debt.

How do I find the SOL? Just google search?? 

DofD would be on the credit report right?? How does that help? 

I'm so confused!

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Look in my signature at the Other Frequently Requested Threads.  Read up on some of that stuff.

DoFD is the date of first delinquency.  It is the date you first became behind on an account and never became current again before it was charged off or sent to collections.  It is federally mandated and can not be changed.  It is the date that determines when an item will be excluded from your credit report and when the SOL starts (in most states).

You can do a google search for your state SOL but you may find varying answers.  It is best to look up your state laws.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.